When is squash ready

thepodpiperAugust 3, 2009

How do you tell when delicata and Burgess Buttercup squash is ready?

Dale

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

I think both of those in pic 1 are ready, and maybe overgrown. Summer squash, like cucumbers should be picked young and tender. So when you cut them the seeds should be soft, not chewy. If the seeds shell is hardening , then it is overgrown.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 9:28PM
shermthewerm(8 PNW)

Podpiper,
So glad you posted this question--your delicata looks exactly like mine & I was wondering the same thing. I usually only plant butternut & acorn for my winter squash, but this year I decided to walk on the wild side & try something new. That's always fun, but how to know when it's ready?
Hopefully someone will answer this for you--us. Your plants look great. I've never tried trellising my squash, I just let it sprawl out all over. Maybe next year; it does look much tidier.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 9:41PM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Winter squash in general should be harvested when fully matured. At that point the rind will probably be too hard to puncture with a fingernail.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 9:59PM
thepodpiper

OK, i am going to pick one tomorrow and give it a go. Now I need some recipes. how does everyone eat these Delicata's

Dale

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 11:14PM
farmerdilla

Dale, I would hold up if I were You. Neither of those squash are anywhere near mature. Both are winter squash, which means they are best when fully mature and cured a couple of weeks before eating. As stated above, if you are in a great hurry, you can pick when the skin is hard enought to resist a fingernail. The basic way for both these squash is t o split in half, removed the seeds, put butter or other seasonings in the seed cavity and bake in the oven. Of course they can also be used in any other way you use a winter squash, pies, purees, soups etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: some winter squash recipes

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 7:54AM
thepodpiper

Thanks farmerdilla, I will wait.

Dale

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 8:45AM
rdback(Z6 VA)

Hey Dale,

I too had this very same question. As usual, FarmerD comes to the rescue. Of course, all those years in Virginia taught him well (hehe).

Anyway, here's a link to a previous GW thread discussing Delicata. I actually found it with a Google search, not a GW search. It contains some interesting info as weill.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous GW Delicata discussion

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™