Swiss Cheese Plant query

grenville_dixonJune 7, 2013

Dear All,
Please help me by answering my Query if at all possible. I would like to buy a Swiss Cheese Plant.
Am I right thinking that a mature specimen will indicate where the next aerial root will be formed by producing what looks like a white scale insect. If I am right this will used to protect the emerging tip of the root.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Not sure I understand your question. There are a ton of pics of aerial roots here. The last entry is Monstera, assuming that's what you mean by Swiss cheese plant. Does looking at those help at all?

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 7:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

New aerial roots will start out as a small light brownish dot.

Then they grow into a little bump with almost the same coloring as a brown paper bag. Sometimes that's as far as they grow, other times they shoot out at amazing speeds to grasp onto something or reach the soil.

You don't have to protect them, just leave them alone.

My opinion is that if you have any of these vines that grow roots from the nodes hold off reaching for any chemicals and don't get panicky when you start seeing little dots show up on the vines near the nodes. And don't scratch it off either.

The only time I've ever seen these come in white is when rooting in water. On a large plants these will usually be bigger then scale bugs.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™