My diffenbachia

a1pha_fema1e(4)June 30, 2013

I downsized the pot my diffenbachia was in, it was in a HUGE pot cause it had toppled over into a U shape and it was so weak that I didn't want to cut it. So I put it in a big pot and let the bottom of the U in the soil. A few months later I lifted it up and there were new roots :D So I cut it but then it wasn't as happy. After browsing this forum I learned the pot was too big and the MG soil wasn't the best. I still had to use MG soil, but downsized the pot so it wouldn't take so long to drain. And really, the roots on even the original stem were pretty small.

So we'll see how it likes that. Also, should I chop the stem back more? How long does it take for a new one to start? I've done it before but it was so long ago that I don't remember how long it took. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

They grow along the ground once they get some weight to them. Mine, which is currently about nine feet tall with a 1-1/4" thick stem is tied to a stick to hold it up. otherwise it snakes along the floor. I've seen them growing as weeds like this too in Costa Rica. Your pot and soil had nothing to do with it.

You might see new grow in a couple of weeks. Chopping it up will give you more stems to play with but otherwise it won't make a difference.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a1pha_fema1e(4)

Really? I had no idea, the original ones I had grew straight up with nice thick stems. But then I got sick and barely took care of them for a long time. This was the only survivor.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™