I have white fuzzies on my plants

newspaperladyJune 7, 2013

I bought a beautiful spider plant and about a week later white fuzzy like things Started to appear on it tried to wipe them off but they came back what are they? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I believe those are mealy bugs!!!!!!!!!!! They sap bugs from plants and leave honewdew, A sticky liquid whitch inturn leads to sooty mold. The best thing I can think of is to run water over the entire plant in the shower. This will dislodge them but bnot kill all of them. Hopefully someone will come for better ideas. Whait until hopefulauthor sees this.

I have never heard of insect pest on spider plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 10:01AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Mealybugs are an equal opportunity pest. Trust me, showering your plant will not accomplish much at all. Is this plant outside or inside?

Have you carefully examined the plant for other pests......such as spider mites?

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:38PM

I agree rhizo, but i believe that a stong jet of water can help alittle

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:48PM
pelargonium_gw

If that were my plant, I'm sorry to say I would have thrown it out. Mealybugs are not easy to get rid of! And spider plants are easy to replace. I have had thrips on spiderplants, so they do get pests.

You could also buy tablets with insecticides to put in the soil, it could be worth a try. Just keep the infested plant away from other plants, especially if you grow it indoors.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:55PM
Will07(5)

I always had good results with horticulture oil or neem oil. Still not going to get rid of ALL the mealies but defiantly help control them. I'd agree with pelargonium and toss it though since its a pretty heavy infestation and if you haven't become to attached to the plant!

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:38PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm on the "toss" side when an infestation is this bad. Spider plants are extremely common and very easily replaceable. Just avoid the place where you bought this one.

A small number of mealies can be controlled with mists of rubbing alcohol mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three or four parts water. Keep the solution in a spray bottle and apply every three or four days.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:01PM
kaktuskris

I agree, discarding the plant is the best strategy. The infestation is just too severe. Best to cut your losses before they contaminate another plant. I would toss the whole thing, pot and all.

Christopher

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:42PM
tomr(Z6 NY)

Sorry, I'd toss it too. Sometimes you just have to. I lost numerous orchids to Mealies over the years. Nasty little ^&&^%%"s !

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:31PM
kuroc(z8 AR)

So those are what mealies look like. I had no Idea what they looked like until now. I used to see these all the time on some of the bushes at the first house I lived at.
Thank goodness I never seen them on any of my house plants.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:25AM

I would just toss it

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:51AM
asleep_in_the_garden

If you feel experimental and you haven't tossed it yet as a last resort I can't help being curious about something I'd read online.

Place the plant in a plastic bag that you can seal.

put a moth ball in there with the plant and seal for 24 hours.

Would love to know if it works. :)

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:10PM
asleep_in_the_garden

...If you were going to throw it out anyway,what's the harm,right? :)

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™