Cleaning crusty pots??

terrene(5b MA)June 14, 2011

Hi guys, I don't post in this forum much, but I've got lots of Houseplants, and enjoy lurking here and looking at the pictures.

I've got some nice ceramic pots that have gotten crusty and stained from previous use. Some of the crusty stuff is very hard to get off. I've done some searching here and container forum, but can't seem to find any threads on this subject.

Does anybody have any tips about how to wash their pots, and what kind of cleaners to use, to get off the crusty stuff, and remove staining??

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Have you tried using a lime-scale remover?

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:28AM
terrene(5b MA)

Hi Purple, no I haven't but I've got some of the CLR in a spray bottle. Will try that, thanks!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 12:27PM
birdsnblooms

Bleach is supposed to work..Depending on the material, some pots can go in the dish washer. Toni

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:53PM
terrene(5b MA)

Well the CLR worked great and removed almost all the crusty material very easily. I say "almost all" because there was a little very stubborn brown crusty stuff on some places, like the water line near the tray, that didn't come off. It seems that requires scraping it off with a blade.

I didn't use any bleach, but I have a couple glazed ceramic pots that are not glazed on the inside and that acquires a brown staining from the soil. Bleach might have worked on that.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 5:39AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I would not use bleach on UNGLAZED terra cotta, it's likely to absorb some of it (unglazed clay is porous, therefore absorbent).

Not sure the plants would appreciate it.

If it's just discoloration on the inside of the pot, other than scrubbing it well, I wouldn't bother more than that, not like the plant will know or any one will see it.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 1:41PM
penfold2(4b, MN)

While acids (like vinegar or CLR) can be used to remove mineral deposits, and bleach can be used to remove organics, you should never mix the two. Doing so can release toxic chlorine gas.

^Just in case anyone was thinking about doubling up their cleaning power.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Need help reviving Fiddle Leaf!
Hi, I am a first time houseplant owner and recently...
Lacey Scripture
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™