Lipstick plant?

Will07(5)June 24, 2013

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact a lipstick plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grrr4200(z3 MI)

looks like some sort of a columnea or a goldfish plant.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 1:59PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I'd suggest yes, it IS a lipstick plant.

If you Search for that name & then isolate the Search to Images, you'll see matching pix as I just did.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 3:36PM
terrilou

I think this may be a nematanthus because of the pouchy looking flower. You might post it on the Gesneriads forum for a definite id.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 4:33PM
flowerpottipper

It does look like a goldfish/nematanthus plant, I use to have one, but the blooms where stripped. I see them all the time for sale. The lipstick plants I have blooms several flowers together at the end of the branches and have these tube shaped things where long tube shaped blooms come out of...but that was just one of my plants, I'm not sure if all lipstick plants bloom like that. And Goldfish plants get blooms all along the branches one at a time and the blooms are pouchy looking.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:29PM
tropicbreezent

My Lipstick Plant, Aeschynanthus everardii, has flowers at the ends of the stems. My understanding is that they all do.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 11:48PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

This is one of the reasons I very much dislike the names Lipstick Plant, Goldfish Plant and Guppy Plant. These names are used interchangeably with aeschynanthus columnea and nematanthus respectively. The problem comes when people don't use that convention. I've bought columneas that were labeled as a Lipstick Plant when convention is that a Lipstick Plant is an aeschynanthus. I have seen columneas and nematanthus both labeled as goldfish plants. This is why am so much in favor of using Latin names when referring to plants. This is a specially true when it comes to these three species of plants in the Gesneriad family.

Will07,

I really believe that your plant is a nematanthus. If I had to guess it would be Nematanthus 'Bijou'. Don't quote me on it, but I think it's either that hybrid or a hybrid very close to it.

Larry

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:09AM
More Discussions
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™