money tree (pachira) plant oozing?

lauriedutch(5 / CO)June 3, 2013

Hello,

Is it normal for a money tree plant to ooze? If you look closely at the photo, you can see what looks like droplets oozing out of the plant. The plant seems stressed because some of the leaves are slowly dying. I'm trying to figure out the cause of the oozing: is it normal, does it indicate a plant disease, or something else?

If the image does not display, how do I get it to display here? It's a Photobucket pic.

Thanks!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/LaurieDutch/Moneyplant2_zpsa1b 59a81.jpg

This post was edited by lauriedutch on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:54

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Sorry, I can't get to your pic.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 10:43AM
lauriedutch(5 / CO)

It's a Photobucket pic. They provide 4 types of links (HTML, Direct, IMG, email/IM) but these don't seem to work here any longer :-(

Can someone advise how to get a photo to display here? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 10:57AM
asleep_in_the_garden

Is the ooze coming from little brown bumps by chance?

..............Gotta terrible feeling I know what the problem is. :(

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:25PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

from Photobucket, pls. copy & paste the 3rd line of code. I use it all the time & it works just fine.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 1:57PM
lauriedutch(5 / CO)

Third option is HTML

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 2:11PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

That is unusual. The best I can think of is trying to resaerch care req. and make shure that the plant has is every need

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 2:39PM
plantomaniac08(8)

lauriedutch,
Can you get another picture of your plant a little lower? I'm trying to tell what's on the stem. They look like brown spots at the bottom of your picture; I don't know if they're even anything or that's "normal." I've reposted your picture with a circle around what I'm talking about. I'd like a picture of that area of your plant.

Your plant just might have water evaporatiing off of it, I forget what the term is called (some plants do this, my Peace Lily does this a day or so after being watered, has little water beads hanging off some of the leaves). Does the liquid feel sticky at all?

As for the leaves dying, I don't have any experience with a "Money Tree," I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Planto

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:25PM
lauriedutch(5 / CO)

Yes, the droplets are sticky. The plant had sticky oozing at least one other time, dropped many or all leaves, then recovered beautifully.

I will try to post another photo soon. The plant is staying at my neighbor's. I hope she can join in the conversation. We wonder if the plant has a contagious disease (she has a money tree too).

This post was edited by lauriedutch on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:02

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:00PM
Will07(5)

I've seen this on lots of money trees but I could never figure out what exactly it is. Could the tree be infested with spider mites or scale? When I've seen this on money trees they always are infested so perhaps it could be that. Also what Planto said, the process is called guttation but it doesn't occurred in the day time.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:59PM
lauriedutch(5 / CO)

Here's another photo. Do you think it could be suffering from scale?

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 6:51PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

It's guttation...and Pachira do it quite often.
You can wash it off with a wet towel if you wish.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 8:10PM
plantomaniac08(8)

It's difficult to say what those brown spots are, if anything as your photo is a little blurry. :/ Do they come off easily if you scratch them with your fingernail?

Planto

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 8:41PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I think the brown spots are a part of the trunk...I've seen it in the past, and used my nail to flake some off. It didn't seem to be insect, so I haven't bothered since.

Josh

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 11:33PM
lauriedutch(5 / CO)

Thanks very much!

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 8:16AM
asleep_in_the_garden

Well....that's a load off my mind(except that idr guttation being sticky(unless it is with this plant which I've never owned).

Yes I suspected scale but didn't want to say just yet w/o further info.

Never so happy to be wrong! :)

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 8:44AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Quite sticky, indeed.

A clearer picture could resolve the question of the scale.

Josh

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:38AM
asleep_in_the_garden

EVEN better! LOL

I'd seen similar scarring(the little brown spots)on sheffleras so I'm not too concerned about those. Aslo the idea that the "honeydew" was dripping from ABOVE where I thought I'd seen 'em was throwing me.

My advice would be to stay on guard with pachira...like the scheffs they get hit by scale pretty hard.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:45AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Guttation is usually harmless to the plant. You are right about scale and schleffera. It usually doesnt kill them but it does weaken them

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:50AM
asleep_in_the_garden

Just threw one out the other day that had been weakened....to death!

Did I mention that I HATE scale?

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:55AM
hjoseph7

Never had that problem with any of my plants. I did have the problem of leaves drying out until I figured out what the problem was.

First of all I live in an apartment and originally I placed the plants too close to the heater and window. The sun and the dry-heat from the heater was burning out the leaves.

Moving the plant away from the windows and heater helped but my plants were still suffering from lack of humidity in the winter time, since I kept the windows closed to avoid the cold.

Placing a small bucket filled with water next to the plant solved the humidity problem.

Next problem was over watering. Now I only water my plants once or twice a month. Occasionally I will spray the leaves but only in the morning or evenings.

My plants are growing great now. With beautiful healthy green leaves and an occasional yellow leaf here and there, but nothing to be concerned about.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Will the aphids come back on my overwintered potted strawberry plants?
I had a severe aphid infestation on my potted strawberry...
malsprower
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™