Bring peppers indoors?

richdelmoAugust 26, 2013

I have a couple of bell pepper plants in containers that have a few mature fruit each and several small flowers and tiny fruit. There isn't enough time for the small ones to fully grow so when the time is right any reason why I can't bring them indoors and set them in a south facing location to allow further growth. Not expecting anything new once indoors just want to develop whats already there at the time they come in.

This post was edited by rich_manure on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 21:26

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

Rich: Shouldn't be a problem. Peppers are actually perennials... frost just normally does them in though.

However, growth will slow due to less hours of sunlight and less BRIGHT sunlight due to the winter sun.

If you snip some flowers and buds, the plants will direct it's energy into those fruit that remain.

I'd try to leave them outside though as much as possible until it gets cold --- and even then, you may want to do the "roulette" thing... let them out on warmer days in the fall and bring them in when temps at night hit the low 40's. There's just no substitute for good ol' DIRECT sunshine.

Also, when you do bring them in, keep an eye out for aphids and OVER watering.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 1:07AM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Peppers are often overwintered indoors. Plenty of threads about how to do this here on GW, see link below. One of the keys, as mentioned, is don't overwater.

I am hoping to grow one that will overwinter outdoors in my zone 9 garden. My Rocoto pepper (c. pubescens) survived last winter mostly unprotected and is in it's second season producing like a champ. But that is a hot pepper, I want a sweet pepper that will do the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg090801272024.html

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:56PM
richdelmo

thanks for the feed back you two, I din't realize peppers were perennials which changes my plans for the better. I was just going to let them survive until they finished fruiting but now an entirely different strategy.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™