attempting to grow spider plant from seed.

teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)June 18, 2012

i am attempting to grow some seeds i gathered from my spider plants. i know people have done it before so i thought it might be cool to grow it from seeds rather than plantlets. i have planted the seeds of c.comosum 'variegatum; in a 2 inch pot with fertile baked and sifted though a window screen garden soil. baking it prevents disease and sifting it makes a more finer mix. i have watered them and put a clear plastic bag over them to keep them moist. i haeard that variegated spider plant seeds come out plain green

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

You probably weren't born yet last time I tried this so I don't remember much about it except that nothing came up, but I'm not saying this to be discouraging. If I had some seeds, I'd try again. You've definitely put a lot more effort into the soil than I did, although I don't know if "a more finer mix" is a good thing. For plants, that's exactly the opposite of what you want, but it may be just the thing for these seeds...? You have my wholehearted wishes for success!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phal_pal

Funny you should post this, I just "tickled" my spider flowers with a q-tip this morning hoping to eventually do the same thing. If the babies came up all green I would like that. How many do you put to a pot? Good luck with your babies, let us know when they come up.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Will the aphids come back on my overwintered potted strawberry plants?
I had a severe aphid infestation on my potted strawberry...
malsprower
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™