Peace Lily dying

beard_of_socratesJune 24, 2013

Hello all,

Looks like I've ran into a bit of trouble with this hardy plant. A few days it appeared healthy, now it's drooping to point I can't get it back up.

I think the culprit was over-watering. I think I could just dump out the contents and refill, though I'm worried the plant may have dyed from root rot. :(

The container does have a drainage system. It has a catch filter at the bottom with a layer of medium sized rocks above that.

Any help is definitively appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Usually the culprit of this wilting is underwatering. If the soil isnt moist it needs water ASAP.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 1:19PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I'd check to see if the mix had completely hardened off (which peaty mixes tend to do) interfering w/ the plant's ability to drink.

Likelier than not, it's because of the poor mix, not under or overwatering.

Sorry, don't know what a catch filter is.

Thinking has changed on the layer of rocks down below, that is now though to be a bad idea interfering further w/ proper drainage.

I'd unpot the whole thing & check if the roots are still alive, before trying to do anything else; it MAY be too late, can't tell w/out unpotting it, sorry.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 1:47PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

If the mix is hardened I would submerge it for a half an hour and let It sit in a few days in a shady spot. If it is alive it will perk up alittle if not it is probally lost

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 2:50PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Those leaves are dead....they won't come back. However, that doesn't mean that the entire plant is dead. Unless it has been overwatered to the point of total root rot....it could grow new leaves.

These plants are very sensitive to soggy roots/potting mix. They begin to wilt due to root rot.....we water them even more thinking that they are dry, and then they die.

I don't understand about your potting system, either.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™