A mystery Dracaena?

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)June 19, 2012

I knew there were quite a few Dracaenas but never imagined I'd be completely stumped trying to decide what kind, and now I'm not even sure that's what it is. Still just a really little guy, but does anyone recognize him?

As you can see, there's a bit of sunburn and I've backed it up a bit, but it doesn't seem to be developing any variegation in as much light as possible without getting more sunburn, or getting any darker green.

When I brought it home (from WM) it was in some kind of weird stringy "hard" stuff (coir?) and no tag at all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

looks like Dracaena Janet Craig Compacta. my grandmother had one for a good 20 years before a spider mite infestation killed it

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 12:07PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Thanks for the response. I looked at D. deremensis but got a gaggle of variegated plants so didn't think that was it, but when I do "janet craig" I see plain green ones. Think you're right. Looks like if I want variegated leaves on this one, it's gonna be sunburn. (J/K!)

Don't know how I'm going to break the news about this plant to my honey. He says they're all named "Steve" which is fine with me 'cuz their real names are usually too much of a mouthful. I guess Janet will be like the Smurfette of the porch - the only chick in the clan. Being so, I think the Steves will like her a lot, unless she acts too uppity.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 3:01PM
flowerpottipper

I'm guessing 'Limelight Dracaena'....thats my best guess.

-FPT

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 12:47AM
riptidefrog

I agree with FlowerPotTipper. The color looks much lighter than a friend's Janet Craig compacta. His was in very low light and got watered once every few months when I reminded him that it was still alive.
Does anyone know if a Limelight Compacta has been developed yet?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
People viewed this after searching for:
j k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™