Alocasia Leaves Turning Yellow...I Need Help!!

uniquelydivine(6)June 15, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I've had an Alocasia for about a year now. It's been doing great but about a month or two ago I noticed some of its leaves turning yellow.

I thought that it was just the cycle of life and nothing was wrong. Recently, more leaves have been turning yellow and eventually dry up.

New leaves are coming out but I am concerned about the yellowing. Most of the tips of the leaves are yellow as well. Some of the leaves are also bending down and leaning towards the floor instead of standing upright (pics below). Why is this?

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to solve the problem. Please help. Thank you.

Pics below:

Yellow leaves:

Another angle of the yellow leaves:

Look how the leaves are hanging down (left side of plant):

Another angle of the drooping leaves (left side):

Right side of the plant (leaves look great and are standing):

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pelargonium_gw

I am no expert, but alocasias are not the easiest plants to take care of. They require quite moist conditions (air humidity). It also may be time to have a look at the roots, since the plant has grown quite big - it might need new soil and a bigger pot.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 2:17PM
petrushka

I see outside leaves turning yellow - the oldest. it's normal for old leaves to die, the new ones should be on the way. the other leaves look good to me.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 8:46PM
tropicbreezent

If it's only the old leaves, and the new leaves are good, then it's just the normal process of senescence. But make sure your soil isn't staying too wet. Some Alocasias like to stand in water, some will die in it. Yours are in the category of not liking it wet, they just need it damp.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™