SOS Gerbera...

CarochinhaJune 27, 2013

Someone gifted my mom a Gerbera plant a month ago or so, and somehow it turned into this. Does someone have any idea of what I could do to bring it back to life? I don't think it's really dead.

I don't know anything about gardening. I know they need sun and water. That's literally it. If you start talking about fertilizer brands and chemical things, I probably won't understand a word. Sorry.

I live in a Mediterranean climate. If you could please help me (with simple instructions), I would be really thankful!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The odds greatly favor the probability the plant has succumbed to a malady called crown rot. This happens frequently with African Daisies when they are over-watered or planted too deep. Unfortunately, once it's taken hold, there is little you can do. The bright side is, not that you've asked the question, you'll know they should be left to become quite dry before watering. I wouldn't exactly campaign for allowing the plants to wilt slightly before you water, because that induces drought stress, which robs potential; but I would offer that it would be better to under-water to the point where you see the first signs of wilt before watering, than it would be to over-water. Neither is good practice, but under-watering is the lesser of the evils.

Al

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carochinha

Oh, thank you so very much!! I'll start doing that and see if I can still salvage this plant!

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
Will the aphids come back on my overwintered potted strawberry plants?
I had a severe aphid infestation on my potted strawberry...
malsprower
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Low-e Windows Effect on Plants
We have lots of house plants. We wish to install energy...
peter_poet
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™