What eats beet greens and chard?

NDGardenerAugust 19, 2011

This is my first year gardening, and I recently looked at my beets and chard after a week (we were on vacation and had someone else watering), and some of the leaves are skeletal! Most of the beet leaves are gone, and it looks like whatever it is is just now starting on the chard. I can't find any bugs on the leaves, even in the evenings. They're basically being munched in between the leaf veins, leaving a skeletal remainder. Any ideas what this pest could be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Caterpillars. Keep looking.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 10:18PM
glib(5.5)

I am unaware of any caterpillars doing that to beta plants. But I have seen rabbits or juvenile groundhogs do that.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 10:33PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

glib, the animals you mention don't typically carefully gnaw the flesh of the foliage, leaving the veins in tact. However, caterpillars will! Our original poster needs to look carefully for the beet armyworm or other such critters, at night with a flashlight.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 7:10AM
NDGardener

Thanks for the tips! Whatever-it-is has been ignoring my half-grown lettuce in the next row, so I figure it's probably not rabbits. I'll do another search and maybe spray with some water-soap-cayenne mix. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 8:46AM
glib(5.5)

You are right, they do a rough skeletonization, leaving the main vein, but if it is a neat job of eating around the veins then it is something else.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 9:34AM
NDGardener

OK, so I found one bug on my chard. It looks like ladybug larvae, but more orange and a bit shorter. I've been looking at google images for awhile and can't find it! Any ideas?

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 6:27PM
anamaria2012

My chard is getting eaten all the way to the white vein and can't seem to find anything, How can I stop whatever is eating the chard from eating it? Can I spray something? I prefer organic solutions.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:14PM
Masbustelo

Check on Leaf Miners.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 4:14AM
More Discussions
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes Anyone ever try these?...
fresc1000
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™