Mealy Bug on Dracaena!

riptidefrogJune 30, 2012

Dear friends,

After much admiring of my houseplants today, I discovered to my horror what I think can only be mealy bug living upon my recently purchased dracaena massangeana.

At first I thought, "How did clumps of dust fall upon these newer leaves?" and then I wiped one of the small clumps away..."What is that shiny/sticky stuff undernea....Oh NO!"

Indeed, I have found numerous little puffballs over the plant.

This is a relatively new plant bought when freshly rooted from IKEA. Its only about 2 months old.

I dont think that it has ever been in direct contact with any other plant but it has been close; about 6-12 inches away.

Is there hope to eradicate the pest? Has anyone been successful with this pest and a dracaena before? Is the plant a goner? What are the chances that it jumped to my other nearby Janet Craig? Will I have to replace all of my plants?

The only other time i had this pest was when i was a teenager and then it was only on a cactus I bought and was easy to eradicate with alcohol and a q-tip.

Can I spray each leaf junction with rubbing alcohol or will that harm the plant.

Waaaa! I can't believe that IKEA with their modern styling and comfortable prices (notice I didnt call IKEA furniture comfortable, just their prices) would do this to me! lol

Any help/ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Riptidefrog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Do you need us to look at a picture to verify the mealybugs, or are you pretty certain?

Yes, you can spray a water : alcohol solution on your Dracaena. I recommend a 3 : 1 ratio, but others have used stronger. I strongly suggest an isolation period for your plant and that you keep an eye on all of your others.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
How to make this fiddle leaf branch out.
This is a fiddle leaf that I wanted to buy on Craigslist....
Pete
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
House plant identification please
I bought this little plant at Walmart yesterday but...
wpark2419
Sponsored Products
Lemon Green Wreath - 22" dia.
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Firefly Two-Light Warm Bronze Micro-Texture Glass Sconce
$75.00 | Bellacor
60" Quorum Dragonfly Collection White Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
All-In-One Protection with Bed Bug Blocker Cotton Rich Pillow Protector (Set of
Overstock.com
Stewart 2 Light Rust Outdoor Incandescent Flush Mount
$49.75 | Home Depot