Help with variegated rubber plant

chinabeach60June 26, 2010

Good afternoon all

I have a variegated rubber plant that is infected with spider mites I am getting rid of them but have had to cut a lot of leaves that were damaged, if I cut it back all the way to remove what is left of the leaves will it grow back. Right now it does look a little sad with the leaves only at the top and nothing else. Please help

Thank you Chinabeach

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

How well the plant back-buds depends on the time of the year and the plant's state of vitality. The time of year is right, but because the plant has been struggling with mites, it's almost certain its vitality level will be very low and back-budding unenthusiastic if you were to chop it.

You probably need to take a more holistic approach and ask yourself why the mites were able to get a hold. You'll probably find an issue related to the soil or condition of the roots as the underlying cause - it typically is.

Pruning off the growing tip and the last (the youngest)leaf that emerged will force some back-budding; but even though you can't see it, the roots are the heart of the plant and the top can do nothing w/o root approval. You need to be sure the roots are happy, or your battle will be fought continually on the upslope.

Al

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 4:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinabeach60

Thank you for the help
chinabeach

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Need help reviving Fiddle Leaf!
Hi, I am a first time houseplant owner and recently...
Lacey Scripture
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™