unidentified house plant not doing very well

stew23June 19, 2014

Hi all,

I got this little plant at IKEA several months ago and promptly repotted it but it doesn't seem to have grown a millimeter since then. I have no idea what it is and the (not so helpful) label only said that it should receive bright but not direct light and to water sparingly and let dry out in between, which I have done. I'm wondering if anyone can identify it and suggest what I could do to make it happier? It doesn't appear to be dying, it just isn't flourishing.

This is my first time posting and I appreciate any responses!

Tory

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

One of the variegated peperomia.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:41PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Yes, probably P. obtusifolia, but there are other similar species, and cultivars of various species. If you have a spot with more light, it may grow a little faster, though it's not a fast growing type of plant. Your Peperomia looks pretty peppy to me. House plant growth is usually measured by seasons, or even years, not months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peperomia selection from EA

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:58PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi, & yes, I think that ID is right.

Also agree this isn't a fast growing plant & that actually, it looks excellent, we can see that by how the leaves look & how firm they appear.

I'd keep doing the same as you are, but in future, when you repot, I'd add about 30% perlite to that mix to make it faster draining (that mix looks quite peaty from here).

While I don't see this in the EA listings (Exotic Angels), that ID is definitely correct for Pep., very nice one too, enjoy.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 3:40PM
susancarol(7)

I think your pep is as cute as a button. I'm just posting some of my peps mixed in with lipstick, philos etc. All of these are from this season. They're in no more than 5 inch pots, some smaller than that with potting soil mixed with perlite.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:27PM
Joe1980(5)

That's a nice one. It'll get to growing when it sets roots since the repot. They actually can take off pretty quickly, and become tall and fall over if not pinched back or trimmed now and again. They are also pretty tough, but can succumb to overwatering, so make sure to let it dry up a bit between waterings. I agree with the statement about the soil being doctored for extra drainage, as peperomias appreciate a well drained soil.

Joe

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:16PM
stew23

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about my little guy and will make sure to be patient and not overwater.

This post was edited by stew23 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 17:49

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 5:48PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

How are things going?

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™