I crossed Sugar Baby and Moon & Stars watermelons!

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)September 3, 2012

Last year I grew a mixture of Moon and Stars and Sugar Baby watermelons in my garden. I decided to save the seeds to see what would grow, and planted a dozen this spring. The horrible drought took it's toll, so I only now have a few melons maturing. However, the ones I have appear to be crosses between the parents: they're Sugar Baby size with the yellow stars of Moon and Stars!

I'd like to try to maintain this strain and develop a true-breeding variety of my own from it. Any advice on how to go about doing this? I was planning on saving more seed this year from the few melons I have, planting out a few dozen hills next year, and saving seed from any melons that appear to have the same desirable traits.

If I can develop my own landrace, my wife wants to call it Sugar Stars. I like Star Baby :-) Oh, and has anyone heard of a cross like this that's already been done that would defeat the point of my work? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue72

Can see some pic of them. And your graden.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:19AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Size isn't going to tell you anything about the genetics of your seed. Drought or crowding will all make the melons smaller. Beyond that I have no idea if you can make a stable line from this seed. I'd think it very difficult. The seed from even one melon could vary in genetic makeup.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:41AM
helen4

I say, dream big! You might want to contact someone from a county extension office or just google for info on creating your own hybrids. Even if you only got Baby Stars part of the time, who cares? That's still exciting. Best wishes in your endeavour!

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:19PM
helen4

I just want to add: the thought has occured to me up here in zone 4 that I would just love to be able to grow Moon and Stars, but in a small, quicker to mature size. I think that has a definite market appeal to those of us with short growing seasons!

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:22PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Sounds like a fun project to me.

I recommend you get the book, "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" by Carol Deppe. It will be highly interesting to you.

Jim

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Dang it! I've done it again.. 3 years in a row I've gotten injured..
It's time to get in the garden, but I hurt my back...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Indoor tomatoes large, planting a month away
I started 10 tomato plants in an aerogarden this year...
Anthony
Sweet potato slips have white crystals on lower leaves...is that bad?
I bought multiple sweet potatoes from the store to...
armbarangel
Frost damaged lettuce transplants
Hi all, Transplanted some lettuce outside last week...
Anthony
Building a database - help!
I'm an old geezer trying to learn Libreoffice Base...
vanisle_bc
Sponsored Products
Chip-Zel-Pop Pail Gift Tin
$50.00 | FRONTGATE
Outdoor Parkdale Rug in Sunbrella Criss Cross Green/Green White Wicker - 5' x 8'
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Feiss Fusion Grecian Bronze Two-Light Wall Sconce
$166.00 | LuxeDecor
Italtrike La Cosa Construction Truck Riding Push Toy - 2000WTR
$49.99 | Hayneedle
'Laundry: The Never Ending Story' Wall Quotes™ Decal
$18.99 | zulily
Modern Littles Toy Boxes Smarty Pants 10.5 in. x 10.5 in. x 10.5 in. Folding
$14.95 | Home Depot
Uttermost 19546 Fatima Sky Blue Urns
Littman Bros Lighting
Scent Elements Diffuser - Water by Tom Dixon