Hostas indoors

gburgcountrygirlJune 5, 2009

Ok, before anybody tells me I cannot grow hostas indoors, let me tell you I have done much research on this and it can be done. Some of mine do better than others though. My question is...they have all done pretty well for about 5 months. They get indirect light and are kept watered like I was told to water them.

Some of them are now getting brown leaves? I cut them off and I start getting new leaves. So my question is...do they need more light or more water? Why are the leaves turning yellow?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Apoptosis/senescence is the first thing that comes to mind after 5 months, but if they didn't get a winter rest in cold temps, it will definitely have a negative effect on how they perform indoors, too. They won't like being deprived of a dormancy at all.

Al

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 6:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
koicool1

let them go dormant for a few months. expose them to codler temps and maybe you can store them in the fridge/freezer for a while? they do need a rest period. why do grow them indoors? maybe you can limp it alonguntil this fall, then bury the pot in the ground for winter.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™