Please help! Problems with Hoya, Bird's nest and Ivy plants

steviewonderrJune 1, 2014

Hello,

I have recently started getting into botany and have gotten a few house plants. I have been having problems with three of them; my Hoya, Bird's Nest and Ivy plants as the title says. It almost looks like something has been eating my Hoya and Bird's Nest plants. Although I have checked very carefully and can not see anything on them. There are pieces missing from a few of the leaves of my Bird's Nest and same with my Hoya. Also some of my Hoya's leaves are turning brown. Could this be from overwatering? I believe for a while I was overwatering them. Then there is the Ivy, which has small brown holes in some of the leaves.

Also is it natural for Hoya's to develop small grey spots on them? At first I thought this was from overwatering so I rubbed some vinegar on the leaves, which did nothing. Then I saw some pics of healthy flowering Hoya's online with the same type of spots on them. Thanks for any input, I'm a little worried and am especially attached to my Hoya. Also I'm not sure why I can't actually post my pics in this thread so here's a link. Thanks.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2jysnyv6/9cfc9697/

...First three are the Ivy, next three the Hoya, last two Bird's Nest

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sradleye

the hoya is naturally speckled. got a cat?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 5:49PM
lauraeli_

Your plants all look healthy. That damage is just cosmetic. If you didnt damage them, then I vote cat. The missing pieces are too big to be bug damage.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 6:18PM
steviewonderr

Glad to hear the Hoya is naturally speckled and that my plants look healthy, but actually I don't have any pets. Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 6:22PM
lauraeli_

No cat? I vote....um...

garden gnome?

If you could get a more focused image, it might help :-) the pictures are a bit fuzzy.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 6:39PM
steviewonderr

Yeah sorry, not sure why I couldn't seem to get any nice pics today. I'll try again later.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 7:06PM
tropicbreezent

I've posted your images below, but they're still a bit too unclear to give a proper opinion.

click image upload

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 9:37PM
lauraeli_

I have to say, your plants really do look fine. The brown on the hoya leaves is natural. That is just what happens when a leaf gets damaged. All of the damage here appears to be from leaves being bent/broken. Bumping into it, dropping it, dropping something on it. It is not from improper care, it is not contagious, it is not going to spread to other leaves. If it worries you, remove the damaged leaves, and if, by chance, the damage reoccurs, repost with clearer images. But from what I can see, your plants check out fine.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 1:53PM
steviewonderr

Thanks guys!

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 12:27PM
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

The last plant looks like a Sansevieria not a Birds Nest. Though the pic is fuzzy...

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 6:30PM
lauraeli_

Some sansevieria are referred to as a "birds nest plant".

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 9:09PM
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

Never heard about that, but quite misleading especially for inexperienced people (like me)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Fern leaves browning and curling - any idea why?
I have this fern in my bathroom, right by a frosted...
yayanz9
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™