Infestation,garlic and flies.

nanowattJune 14, 2014

So i got a hibiscus and for some reasons it started to develop aphids.I read that they don't like the smell of garlic so that's why i am asking if is bad to put garlic near flower(it's ok right?it won't affect the plant?).i also spray the plant each day with cold water or even use the shower on it(gently ofc) or even use a soap and water mixture.I must keep the infection under control until i get something like mospan to kill them.No other plants are infected but since here is summer and is very hot i also have some small flies of which number started to decrease because now i only water the plants at the roots and not directly in the pot because they make larva in moistured soil.Any advices?How to combat them for a while?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

nanowatt, I take it that you are talking about Hibscus rosa-sinensis, a flowering shrub.
Even if there are unopened buds that are infested with aphids, trim them off, bag the clippings and dispose of them.
You can be sure that there will be some aphids still remaining. Those flies might be hover flies which will eat up aphids.
You might try using a misting bottle to direct a strong spray of water on the tips of the plant to knock off any aphids present.
Place the palm of your free hand behind the target area to make quite sure that the spray does not knock it of the way.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 7:54AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

One simple, helpful strategy is to place the plant outdoors for the summer. Air movement and occasional rain will help deter the aphids. There will also be more aphid predators outdoors.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 5:40AM
patchyjack(10a)

Or you could try neem oil. I've heard it's great for deterring aphids.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:40AM
lauraeli_

Hibiscus is pretty sturdy. Knock the aphids off with a nice stream of water from the hose.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
What Makes for a Good House Plant?
As a novice gardener in zone 5, I've become rapidly...
SnowStorm
Fern leaves browning and curling - any idea why?
I have this fern in my bathroom, right by a frosted...
yayanz9
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™