lipstick plant help

alavoneluvhoyaJune 2, 2012

First of all I am a plant junkie. I cant kill a thing except for lipstick plants. I am on my 4th one all different kinds hoping I will find one that likes me. What happends is the tips of the stems start to turn brown and crispy and then its down hill from there. I know they like humidity....here is what I am doing for care: West window about 3 feet away from actual window watering once a week to maintain medium moisture but not soggy and misting every other day around the plant not directly on the plant..... any one has good luck with these plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

Hi, Hoya Luver:

Lipstick plants are Gesneriads so if you post this on that forum you might get more help.

I'll see you there...I hope. :-)

Linda

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 7:33PM
snappyguy

I grow 5 different varieties and haven't had a fatality. Can you tell us about the potting mix? I use a generic african violet/gesneriad mix consisting of a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. When tips die off like that it's a water issue. You might not be keeping the mix moist enough as they like it damp all the time, or you might be over watering a bit, plants get root rot, and then can no longer take up sufficient water. They like a very light mix for good aeration around the roots.

Mark

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 7:51PM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

I wick water mine which keeps them evenly moist but not wet; flushing them every six weeks or so. Grow in coarse perlite and Metro Mix 366 2:1. Basically same as Mark's with a little more perlite.

Linda

PS: Mark, would you email me privately? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 8:20PM
alavoneluvhoya

I grow them in 1/3 potting soil 3 month feed, 1/3 vermicuilite, and the rest perlite. I was thinking the soil would keep it moist enough to balance the perlite and vermiculite. I was thinking i did have a water issue but the medium is moist to the touch and I give a good soaking once a month I would say. should I re pot with less soil and increase perlite?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 12:34PM
snappyguy

The once a month soaking probably isn't necessary, but it probably isn't doing any harm. They do like to be root bound, like many other gesneriads. The extra potting mix keeps too much water around the roots. I occasionally allow mine to dry out a bit. If your plant isn't root bound put it in a smaller pot. Inspect the roots first and remove any that show signs of rot. After that allow it to dry out some maybe once every week or two. That's what works for me.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Purple/Multi 2 ft. x 3
$71.97 | Home Depot
Fine Art Lamps Encased Gems 708640-1ST Eight-Light 31'' Wide Grand Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Slant Task Lamp with Tent Shade by Trend Lighting
$300.00 | Lumens
Sago Palm Silk Tree 4ft
Overstock.com
Exaco Calypso Planter with Trellis - 1.416WHITE
$97.00 | Hayneedle