Window sill strawberries

amethystkornJune 7, 2013

Ok..so I bought these little plant starter kits from Lowe's to plant with my 7 year old. The herb one was fine but the strawberry one isn't doing so well. I followed the instructions on the package and have no idea what I'm doing. Only one plant has appeared after several weeks. I checked in on them today and i see these skinny, short clear looking worms crawling around in the soil as well as a tiny red spider that popped out after I watered it. I have no idea what I'm doing or what these are. I have no idea about pesticides and am hesitant to use anything like that because I have small children and actually would like to eat these berries if I can. Any suggestions? Can I save this planter or should I give up on them all together?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I would put the plant outside, those tiny spiders you see are red spider mites, Cant help you there

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 8:52AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

More likely a soil mite...or even a real spider. Spider mites are so infinitesimally small that few can easily see them with the naked eye. They don't inhabit the soil.

Are your plants outside? Have you transplanted to little pots, yet?

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 9:55AM
amethystkorn

The plants are inside on an east facing window sill. Only one plant ever sprouted and there are little clear worms and white fuzzy stuff on top of the soil. I don't think the little red spider was a spider mite I've checked out pics and it didn't look like any of them. i only saw one. I'm thinking about just scrapping them and taking it as a loss. Thank you for your responses.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:22AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

You could just plant it outside it may come back

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
What is wrong with my dieffenbachia?
It looks droopy. And leaves are yellowing one by one....
bluehaven_gweb
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
Need help reviving Fiddle Leaf!
Hi, I am a first time houseplant owner and recently...
Lacey Scripture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™