Ghostbuster eggplants turning yellow

ladychroe(z6 NJ)September 7, 2007

Hi,

I've been growing Ghostbuster eggplants and while some are getting large, others are turning bright yellow and then not growing any more. Any thoughts? Are they edible? They seem firm and unripe to the touch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

The white eggplants tend to turn yellow when ripe. A ripe eggplant like a ripe summer squash is usually inedible. The only time you want a ripe eggplant is to save seeds.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 9:51AM
barrie2m_

So to add to Farmerdilla's comments you are waiting too long to pick your eggplants. Since you are probably not going to save seeds on a hybrid, pick all of the ovrmature eggplants and discard them. Then start picking fruits for eating at an earlier stage.

Allowing mature fruits to remain on the plants will delay production of more fruits. Why not pick a few at a much smaller stage of development too. I find that they are more tender, less bitter and an ideal size for grilling.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 2:36PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

That's odd, because the yellow ones are much smaller than the white ones. Why would they start ripening before they are finished growing?

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 1:09PM
tigpie

My Lilac Blush did that , too. My bell peppers are ripening real small now, so I believe it is that the 'life span' of the plant is done. I ate my yellow eggplant, and they were fine.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™