Trumpet Honeysuckle--Indoor Only?

spinal_fusionJune 18, 2007

Hi all! I sure hope this is the appropriate forum for this question; I wasn't sure what category would be best and this seemed as good as any...I'm a reluctant workaholic and newbie grower of the green things. I spend more hours of my day than I care to admit at my cubicle, and have developed a master plan to grow pretty and/or fragrant (preferably both) plants at my desk so that I can bring a little bit of nature into my sterile and--quite frankly--smelly office. I bought two plants on ebay for this purpose: an Alabama trumpet honeysuckle vine and a gardenia August beauty shrub that I would like to train as a bonsai.

Regarding the honeysuckle vine: it only set me back $5 so I thought, "Why not?" Now the thing is shipping to me and I have no idea how to encourage it to survive and thrive under office lighting. I do have plenty trellis-type office equipment (thank you office max for selling wire desk accessories!) for a vine to grow onto; just am not sure about the lighting situation.

My apologies for the super-long post, any suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated!

C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hi C..well, hate to sound discouraging, but the honeysuckle is going to be a problem..they're normally grown outdoors..do u plan on training this as a bonsai too? If so, It'd need cool winters. an office environment wouldn't work. Do u have a Trumpet Vine or Honeysuckle? There's a difference? Even though both are normally grown outdoors, in full sun..
Do you have a window in your office? Gardenias are gorgeous but again are hard to grow, especially in a dry, hot room. They need cool,humid air in winter. This is difficult in a house let alone an office..Good luck, C..Toni

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spinal_fusion

Toni,

Thank you for replying! The vine is L. sempervirens, so a honeysuckle. I wanted to get a native species in case I had to grow it at home (even though I won't get to enjoy it much if that's the case). Perhaps I'll let the vine grow at home for awhile until I have enough to make a cutting, and experiment with that one at work. I'd love to be able to grow it so that it covers some portion of my cubicle walls.

In regards to the gardenia, I knew when I got it that I'll be attempting to run before I can crawl...my plan was to get a couple of those sun lamps and keep water on hand in a spray bottle to mist on the gardenia every day. I plan on photo-journaling my efforts so that if (or more likely when) I run into problems, I'll have something better than a vague description of the issue.

Thanks again for reply...if my plants look like they're in trouble, at least I know now to bring them home to recover them!

C

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™