Overwintering Lettuce

sweetwilliam89(5b)September 8, 2012

When (hopefully I'm not too late) should I plant lettuce in 5b for overwintering? I'm hoping to get a crop so it could be harvested late March-early April or so. Also does anyone have any variety recommendations for overwintering lettuce?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daedwood

here in Austraila i can grow lettuce all year round and it can tasted sweeter in winter too but if you think it may be a little too cool in your area try using a coldframe and there should be little to no problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic gardeing

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:16AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

In 5b you'd most definitely need a cold frame or a tunnel.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:36AM
planatus(6)

In 5b the best way to get early lettuce is to start seeds indoors in late winter and set them out under cloches or in a frame in March. A few varieties like Winter Density will overwinter, but repeated freezes make the leaves a funny texture that is not wonderful. Deer, rabbits, etc think winter lettuce is for them.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:48AM
sweetwilliam89(5b)

I definitely agree with the idea of using low tunnels or cold frames. We have both and I was considering using the tunnel for sure (if not both). We use the cold frame in early spring/late winter to harden off transplants and it can get rather crowded, but I was hoping to get a big enough lettuce crop to just tide over till the early planted lettuce gets started to get the season of fresh salads going a bit earlier.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 5:20PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Plant you lettuce in early March, it will be ready to harvest in early April.

Anything you plant now will be ready in 21-30 days. Last year I transplanted lettuce in November, harvest after Christmas. Direct seeded lettuce on December 30th, harvested in March. This was inside a high tunnel.

Jay

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 10:27AM
elisa_z5

I'm in 5b and I plant in September for overwintering lettuce -- some of it under fleece, and some outside, it all does fine. I've bought lots of winter lettuces -- winter density, rouge d'hiver, etc -- but then the volunteer red sails and black seeded simpson, out in the open under feet of snow, do really well just to show me I didn't need to go though all that fuss. And yes, it's great in March and April (spinach too!)

Jay - your lettuce grows a lot faster than mine! Mine grows really slow once it's cooler and shorter days, which is why I plant in Sept for spring harvest.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 5:11PM
daedwood

i agree with elisa_Z5 spinach and swisschard is a good alternative to lettuce in the winter as i know that the swisschard can be used in salads with very little to no cooking. and it tasted great toooo Mmmmmmmm

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
Asparagus sprouts getting TALL
Planted them on 3/9, in small 2-inch pots, potting...
ilovecucumbers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™