Sealant

puggranny(Zone 8)January 21, 2011

I use GE Sealant been buying in small tube but getting expensive. I want to buy the big tube that is used in a caulk gun however my husband keeps telling me I have to use it up within a few days or it will go bad. My question is there a way to keep it from going bad. Or is it better just to use the small tubes if I do not plan to make alot of stuff at one time. Thanks for the answers!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Do you mean GE silicone caulk? I use GE II silicone caulk for almost all of my yard art and buy the caulk gun size tubes. If you keep it sealed well and buy a tube with the furtherest away expiration date that you can find, it will last for quite awhile.
I use a screw to seal the end of the tube, I find it easier to remove if the caulk "grabs". If I'm not going to use it for awhile I put it in a ziplock or other plastic bag to minimize air exposure. I also relieve the caulk gun pressure when storing it and try to keep it away from extreme temperatures.
If you use much of the stuff those little tubes get expensive and in some ways the caulk gun is easier to use. At least for me.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 3:11AM
Marlene Kindred

I also use the big tubes of GE Silicone II and mine last a long time...as much as a year. Make sure to look at the expiration date on the tube before you buy it.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 1:33PM
puggranny(Zone 8)

Thank you for the info

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 3:03PM
tehuti

nmgirl, I was going to write that.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 5:53PM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

Pugrany, very good question. Thank you, I too needed to know that. Thank you all
Carmen

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 6:38PM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

Pugrany, very good question. Thank you, I too needed to know that. Thank you all
Carmen

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 6:40PM
excessfroufrou(7)

Like Marlene said it last a long time. After I open it, it will last a couple of months. I just leave a little dripping out and then pull it out when I'm ready to use it.
Frou

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™