murraya covered in some sort of sap?

kasia88June 20, 2013

So after a rough care of my parents and winter stasis my murraya has nicely recovered over the past few months. The green branches are starting to harden.

Now however, some of the leaves are going a little pale, and it looks like the entire plant has been sprayed with sticky water. There are droplets on leaves and twigs.

I have it set up on southern window, but considering there's a building in the way it's not in the sun all day. More like 1h or 2 of strong sun. I water it whenever it gets dry which is pretty much every day or two now.

Anything to be concerned about? I've never had it the sap thing before. At least not in this amount.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asleep_in_the_garden

Very likely a scale insect infestation ...and those are a BEAST to fight(at least it's been a nightmare for me).

I personally hate them more than any other pest because for some reason they are the only pest that gives me any trouble and when I spot an infestation my usual reaction is "oh god no not again!". In my case it spells out a slow death sentence for the infected plant unless you are absolutely diligent and ruthlessly attentive.

Do a few searches for scale insect on the search function here on gardenweb and you will see what I mean.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 11:54PM
kasia88

I've been wondering what those things were : / I used to take them off before, now there's more that i stopped. Any checked methods that you'd recommend to remove them?

Thanks

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:15AM
asleep_in_the_garden

So far the only thing that's worked for me(kinda)has been putting the infested plant outside where predatory insects that eat scale can get at them(ladybugs and lacewing larvae etc.).

Others will be along shortly with additional advice. :)

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 6:20AM
birdsnblooms

Kasia...Do you see scale on your Murraya?

Has your tree flowered? If so, sap drips from blooms.

Murraya is prone to spider mites. So, check for webs. Brown lumps that can be scratched off is scale. Mealy is white and cottony.
I DETEST mealybug.. mealy is the only insect I can't rid.

I once received an Olive tree loaded w/scale. Long story short, I followed directions from a FL citrus tree nursery owner.
1 capful Fish Emulsion and 16oz water. Mixed well.
The mix can be divided if you're spraying one plant.

Spray the entire plant. Leaves, underneath, upper, stems and trunk.

The only drawback is Fish Emulsion has a fishy odor that lasts 2-3 days, but well-worth the smell. lol.

If your Murraya has insects, please inspect nearby plants.. Scale, mealy and mites travel to other plants.

Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 7:47PM
kasia88

Yea it's scale.Other plants are fine. It's only this one. I scrubbed it off for now since I don't have anything against insects, and gave it a nice wash.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
How to make this fiddle leaf branch out.
This is a fiddle leaf that I wanted to buy on Craigslist....
Pete
Sponsored Products
Sure Fit Stretch Plush Black Chair Slipcover
Overstock.com
Indoor Area Rug: Senses Butterfly Pink 5' x 5' Plush
Home Depot
Brown Tokyo Fabric Loveseat
Zuri Furniture
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light 3 in. Outdoor Raw Copper LED Steplight with B
Home Depot
Dwell Grey Wallpaper R2319, double roll
Walls Republic
Eloise Daybed
Cost Plus World Market
Standard Furniture Westchester 6 Drawer Dresser in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Couristan Recife Summit Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Blue/Black - 1043/5000-5.3X7.6
$69.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™