Philadendrom

dkearbyJuly 6, 2011

So, I think I have a Philadendrom plant (probably didn't spell that right) and it has what looks like a tree growing straight up out of the pot with short leaves towards the top - what is this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elsier(z6 KY)

Is your plant outside, where a seed from a tree may have fallen in it?
Can you post a photo of it?

Elsie

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 7:28AM
dkearby

No, the tree like plant has always been a part of it. It has never been outside.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 8:01PM
birdsnblooms

Dkearby..you need to be more specific. You said you 'think' you have a Philodendron. Without more information, it's impossible giving an answer.

Does the tree-like plant have any special qualities? Is it all green? What's its height? Are its roots connected to the 'possible' Philodendron? Toni

A picture would be best. Toni

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 8:43PM
dellis326 (Danny)

There is the Meconostigma branch of the Philodendron line which are sometimes referred to as the "Tree Philodendrons". they are not really trees but have a stiff stem and grow more or less upright rather than vining. Philodendron bipinnatifidum is one of many excellent examples.

I don't mean to be rude and I'm sorry if I come off that way but just saying you have a stem and some leaves simply isn't enough information for us to give you any help. Posting a photo of your plant would really help a lot, even if its only a cellphone picture. We'll be happy to explain to you how to post a photo here.

Danny

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 10:30PM
dkearby

I am going to post a photo in the gallery as I can't seem to figure out a way to post one here. BTW - I think the plant I have is an arrowhead plant, and not a philadendron. Please check out my photo in the gallery section and tell me what you think.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 4:18AM
dkearby

Here is a link to the picture

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 4:53AM
dellis326 (Danny)

Yeah that could be a Syngonium but I don't know them well. The tall one looks like a dracaena, possably dracaena fragrans.

Danny

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 8:31AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I agree with dellis on both ID's. Not philodendron, but syngonium. Common name for dracaena fragrans is corn plant. Both look great! If your syngonium stems get too long, you can break them off and pot up as a new plant, or put in water to start roots first. Just make sure there are some "root nubs" on the piece you remove.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 10:28AM
dkearby

WHat do the "root nubs" look like?

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 1:07PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

You don't really need to see them, you can feel them w/ your fingers as tiny bumps at the bottom of a leaf's stem, which will then grow into roots.

Syngonium are not high light plants, they do well w/ bright, indirect light. One can even water root these w/out root nodes, I just did, a big tall section of Syngonium.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Mini garden
A long time ago I started working on this mini garden,...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™