Dracaena help

josh222July 28, 2013

I have had a Dracaena Marginata for about 8 years, and it was doing fine until it started dying a few years ago, when I realized I had to change the pot as the plant seemed to big. I changed the pot within the last year, and it doesn't seem to be growing very much if at all. I've had it this long and it's size is nearly the same as when first bought. I've read that they can be 15 feet tall. Why isn't it growing? Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

Have you used a slow-release fertilizer ? I feed my plants starting in early spring and through the summer.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 8:31AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The main suspects would be root congestion, low fertility, low light. Can you eliminate any of those as not applicable?

Al

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 1:42PM
josh222

I don't think root congestion is the problem anymore as it is in a bigger pot. It gets a fair amount of indirect light, and as far as fertilizer, I use miracle grow liquid houseplant food about once a month.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 2:10PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Taking a plant out of a pot and placing it in a larger pot (potting up) doesn't eliminate the effects of root congestion in the original root mass. Repotting, on the other hand, which includes removing all or most of the old soil and pruning roots, does.

Al

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 3:03PM
josh222

Would you mind explaining to me in further detail on how to do this?

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 3:42PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Lop off the bottom half of the root/soil mass with a pruning saw. Use a chopstick, skewer, or wood dowel partially sharpened in a pencil sharpener to remove the soil from the rest of the root mass, keeping it moist or wet at all times as you work - don't allow the roots to dry out. If there are heavy roots remaining, prune the heaviest of the roots short. Repot into a fast draining soil, using the chopstick to integrate the soil into the root mass so there are no air pockets.

Al

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Need help reviving Fiddle Leaf!
Hi, I am a first time houseplant owner and recently...
Lacey Scripture
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™