Too late to start broccoli from seed?

hnycrk(8a)September 7, 2012

Hello all I live in zone 8 Georgia and would like to start the following by seed. Broccoli, Collards, Spinach, & Cabbage. I know I'm off to a late start but were still hitting upper 80 low 90 for daytime highs. Will I be ok starting all this from seed or should I buy transplants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Spinach can be direct seeded. Broccoli, cabbage and collards will need transplants. From seed they need to started in July, first of August at the latest.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:55AM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

Farmerdill - Last year you gave me advice to plant the broccoli transplants by labor day. I panted them on Labor Day this year. But I also tried to sow seeds starting in August. Four plants each week for four weeks. They survived but they did not do very well in the heat of August. Is there a particular variety that is better suited to the heat in Georgia. I am gardening in Brooks, Ga. About 25 miles south of the Atlanta Airport.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:38PM
farmerdill

Variety is very important for spring planting, less so for fall planting although I use short season types both times. I start the plants in July, in trays set in shade. I have a wooded area and retention pond in back so I have some nice damp shade. They do fine, but they cant take soil in the direct sun in summer. This year I have Castle Dome, but I have had good luck in the past with Blue Wind Coronado Crown, Early Dividend, Barbados, Packman etc.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:42AM
hnycrk(8a)

So what would happen if i did start them from seed? Not get enough growth before frost and croak?? I mean we have been having some really warm temps lately so figured the cooler the better? yolos I'm 50 miles south of atl so were really close. Last year I had great luck with broccoli but don't remember the name. I started those as transplants late last sept.

Heres mine from last year...wish I knew the variety.

Put out for a while.

The type I'm wanting to start is preium crop hybrid.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 8:47PM
planatus(6)

If I lived in 8, I would be starting the overwintering red broc that Territorial has. It's hardier than other broccoli and is supposed to hold its fire and yield heavily in spring. It didn't survive winter here, wish it had!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:43AM
farmerdill

They will normally survive Georgia winters, but bolt at a very small size seed heads in late February. You need them to head up in November- December. Which is why transplants from September 1 to October 1 are desirable.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™