Sick corn plant

serenacJuly 22, 2011

Hi everyone,

I received this corn plant as a house warming gift 6 months ago. I watered it very, very rarely (like once a month) for the first 3-4 months but then it started looking a little droopy so I started it watering it every 2 weeks recently (about 3-4 cups each time). The smallest "stalk" looks really bad but I don't know what to do. Now I'm afraid the other stalks are going in that direction. The color of their leaves are turning lighter and the leaves are curling in and drooping.

I live in Taipei so when no one's home, the apartment can get very warm and muggy but when we're in, the A/C is always on. Would these conditions affect the plant's health?

I haven't had much success in the past with houseplants so my confidence in my abilities is pretty low. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marguerite_gw

The soil the plant is standing in looks very compacted. I think it could do with repotting. It doesn't look that bad, to be honest. Just for the moment until it looks thriving again, try and gently break up the topsoil, topdress it with a good houseplant compost, if the soil the depth of a finger down is dry, water it thoroughly by immersing it in the sink, then place it in a bright, not draughty place and see what happens. If an occasional watering only reaches the top of the soil in the put, that's no good to the plant. In these circumstances it needs a thorough drenching.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 2:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
serenac

Thanks Marguerite! The soil is very fine, it almost feels like clay when I water the plant. I will try to break up the topsoil and add compost. Thanks for the advice!

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
How to make this fiddle leaf branch out.
This is a fiddle leaf that I wanted to buy on Craigslist....
Pete
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™