Bell Pepper Bloom Drop

sharigail(7)September 3, 2012

I'm getting really frustrated with my bell peppers. Out of 6 plants, all planted in different garden areas, I've yet to get close to a bell pepper. All of the blooms drop off after they bloom and start to fruit. Now that the weather is starting to cool again, I'd like to see if I can make a go of it. Any suggestions on how to keep the blooms on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It is called 'Blossom Drop' and affects all fruiting plants, not just peppers. There is a FAQ here about it (linked below) and many discussions that the search will pull up using that term.

Primarily it is a pollination issue and caused by air temps making the pollen tacky and non-viable.

From the FAQ:

It may be caused by the use of excess nitrogen fertilizers or dry windy conditions, but the most common cause is temperature extremes. Tomatoes, peppers and beans are especially picky about the air temps when it comes time to set fruit. If the night temps fall below 55 or rise above 75 or if the day temps are above 90, the pollen becomes tacky and non-viable. Pollination cannot occur. If the bloom isn't pollinated, the bloom dies and falls off.

See the FAQ for more details.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™