Boston fern

brownthumbia(5aIA)July 3, 2013

What is the reason that a Boston fern would have leaves that are turning brown, mainly along the bottom fronds? I really want to save this plant because it was given to me when my son died and it's so precious to me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Heythere, so sorry about your loss.

I think more info is needed. Is it in a hanging pot? Does that pot have a hole at the bottom surface or is it recessed about 1/2 inch above? What kind of light? Inside or out? Has it ever been repotted since you've had it?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:55AM
brownthumbia(5aIA)

Oh, I'm so sorry, I did say Boston fern. It's my palm, (parlor?) that I'm having trouble with. I thought perhaps some kind of bug so I sprayed iy with something I got at one time from the garden store but I don't think it is helping. Trouble is I'm never really sure if I'm over or under watering but I just want so bad for it to survive .

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:01PM
brownthumbia(5aIA)

Oh, I'm so sorry, I did say Boston fern. It's my palm, (parlor?) that I'm having trouble with. I thought perhaps some kind of bug so I sprayed iy with something I got at one time from the garden store but I don't think it is helping. Trouble is I'm never really sure if I'm over or under watering but I just want so bad for it to survive .

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:02PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Can you take and share a pic of it? It may make you feel better to think/know that there's no such thing as a parlor palm that isn't always in the process of discarding the oldest leaf. It's part of how they get taller. You won't find a pic of any tall ones with leaves down to the soil level. The more healthy the roots, the more leaves it will be able to maintain - to a point, and grow new ones at an equal pace.

You might just want to start a new discussion, whether or not you want to include a pic.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:20PM
brownthumbia(5aIA)

Purpleinopp, thanks for the reply. I would send a pic but cannot figure out how to do it. I did think I probably should start a new discussion, also. Misleading on my part.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Question about ecobulb for houseplants
a while back someone on this forum rec. the Ecobulb...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Sponsored Products
Boston College Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Hand-tufted Ampthill Wool Rug (12' x 15')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Karnak Red Clay 8' Round
Home Depot
Everlasting Heart Wreath
$69.95 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Bath Mat: Accent Rug: Garland Rugs Essence Deep Fern 24
$23.97 | Home Depot
Boston Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$1,441.00 | Lumens
NHL Boston Bruins Sideline Pillow
$15.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Fern Scrolls Sage New Zealand Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™