calathea leaves not unfolding

mimitdJuly 25, 2014

I have a calathea plant and the leaves are not unfolding. I read that the leaves fold up in a 'prayer-like' fashion at night... mine have done that but have stayed in that position for several days. The plant did get a little dried out, but that has been corrected. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

When the plant 'prays' at night, the leaves are not folding, they stay kind of upright. When leaves curl up that means the plant gets too much light and/or the air is very dry around it. Calatheas don't like much light, even a little of indirect is enough for them to be happy. They show it immediately so it is easy to move them to a different spot where leaves unfold again in an hour or so.
To raise humidity around your plant, you can use a humidifier or stand the pot on a tray filled with pebbles and water. Make sure the plant itself is not standing in water!

If you meant by folding the upright position of leaves don't mind my post. You have to know Calatheas mostly do what they want, not praying every night haha!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 12:07PM
mimitd

Yes.. I meant the upright prayer position. They are having a prayer marathon!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:59PM
tropicbreezent

Mine do that at night, but also when they're too dry, or the air is hot and dry, or else when the sun hits them. They do like their moisture, but not soggyness.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™