Philodendron bipinnatifidum?

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)July 4, 2012

Growing in a parking lot in Destin FL, about 200 yards from the coast on a hill about 30 ft. above sea level, fairly deep shade under an oak. The tree and plant were between paved parking spaces. (Glad they didn't cut down the tree to make one more spot. Parking in the shade rocks!)

(It looks like it, but I was absolutely not stepping on this plant, the roughest thing I did was hold a leaf tip.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

They're a very nice looking plant, especially when they get tall. It'll be appreciating the shade as much as the car owners do.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 7:18PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

So you think that's what it is, too? I looked up the ZIP code on the zone finder and it says zone 8 but I think that's covering an area fairly far from the coastline, so they probably go with the lowest readings within the ZIP. Are some Philos not damaged by frost? I'm pretty sure there's some frost there sometimes, or does being that close to the coast offer that much protection? The temp report on weather.com is probably taken somewhere inland and it may stay warmer right next to the water. And it's surrounded on 3 sides by black pavement.

Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would have been put in that spot on purpose. Wonder how it got there?

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 1:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

This plant was commonly planted around Hilton Head when I lived in the area.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 4:28PM
tropicbreezent

I've read on threads where people have had plants die back after frost but still re-shoot when it warms up again. That's a relatively small plant so leaf litter and it's own leaves falling on it might just be enough protection. Whatever, the plant still seems to be doing okay.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 8:18PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

The building we were visiting is now a pontoon rental place but used to be a private home, at least that's what it looks like. I wonder if this was put here years ago when it was a private home (maybe it crawled out of a pot) and it gets knocked back every winter.

Rhizo, wish I had taken more pics when we visited HH in the early 90's. I was waddling around on the beach in a bikini. I'm pretty sure the plant above is not part of a "landscaping plan," if that makes sense. That's why I was so surprised to see it, it must have been surviving on neglect for at least a few years.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™