Plant for dark bathroom (maybe with a twist?)

aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)July 4, 2012

I know there are no plants that will survive for long in a dark room - however, I desperately want a plant(s) in my bathroom, which has no windows (I hate that!).

I thought that I could perhaps get around this problem by getting two identical, low light plants and switching them out every couple of days/once a week - putting one in the bathroom and one in my not-dark living room.

Ideally, I'd like a taller variety for an empty corner and a smaller one for the counter.

I'd appreciate any ideas, tips or advice!

Juli

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Juli, you will not believe how well this work if you switch these plants out every couple of days. Do your homework, though! You will have to be meticulous about finding the right balance of watering to light to fertilization.

Also, do your homework about what kinds of plants to use. Something that requires very high light in order to thrive, for example, will not work.

You can keep plants healthy and happy for years.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:07PM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

Thanks!

After a bit of research and poking around, I like the look of a Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen). It is supposed to be a fairly easy plant and it seems like it would work. I think. I hope.

I have two small (at the moment) pothos (marble queen). Maybe I'll switch them out as my smaller plant.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:03AM

BTW, I tried to convince my husband that adding a window to the bathroom would be easy but he refuses to believe me. :D

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:15AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

If you are successful with that kind of convincing, we would all be anxious to hear about your tactics! I would go for a skylight too, why not?

Your idea reminded me of "thing 1 and thing 2" from The Cat in the Hat.

Pothos would be fine with the time-sharing. You could also consider Dieffenbachia, Sansevieria, spider plants, parlor palm, any of the wandering jews (Tradescantia zebrina.) ...Plants that are famous for not being very particular and for not dropping leaves (pouting about moves/changing conditions.)

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:53AM

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be successful with the convincing. I might be able to get to look at plants today, depending on my timing --- wish me luck!

(because I totally need more plants, right?!)

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Fern leaves browning and curling - any idea why?
I have this fern in my bathroom, right by a frosted...
yayanz9
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™