Appropriate pot for Fiddleleaf Fig?

GardenNovice6420July 21, 2014

Hello,
A couple of days ago received two young fiddleleaf fig plants. They each came in a 4" growers pot. I put both of them in this 6" pot. Is this enough room for them or should I move them to the 9" pot I originally wanted to put them in. I put them here thinking the 9" pot would be too big for them.
If moving them to the bigger pot is best, should I wait until they've settled a bit first?

Also, at what rate does this plant grow? I know it won't happen overnight, but I'm looking forward to Fred & Ethel here growing into a pretty "tree"

Lastly, the plants came with tiny brown spots on some of it's leaves. Would that be just from being shipped or is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Nydia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

That looks fine to me. Sorry no one answered you before. When repotting I was taught to repot in the next size pot available. You did the right thing. They are very healthy looking.

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 7:51AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Is there a drainage hole in that container?

Like most Ficus, these will grow quickly with light, water, and nutrients.
The container should be fine for a season or two.

Josh

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 8:44AM
tropicbreezent

The Fiddle-leaf Fig is a bit slow amongst Ficus plants. The advantage of staying with the smaller pot initially is that too much soil has a tendency to retain more water and become more soggy. Better staying with small until it has built up a good root system. A bit crowded doesn't worry Ficus.

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 4:17PM
MrBlubs(3a)

I think the poster is long gone.... But maybe other people will find the information given here.

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 8:34PM
kirm

Hi There

I'm a fiddle leaf fig newbie from Perth, Western Australia. I have 2 single stemmed trees growing nicely with new leaves coming from both the top and bottom.

Ideally I would have loved a multi-stemmed fig as I like the bushy look.

My figs are currently around 50cm tall. Can I replant them together into a single pot or am I better off cutting the bud off once my new leaves get a bit tougher (they've just opened from the bud so are quite a pale green) and encouraging branching.

I'm secretly hoping that a new stem is hiding below the surface haha.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 12:31AM
tropicbreezent

I find they tend to like growing a bit spindly. But it also depends on light levels. Low light, particularly indoors, results in most of the leaves up top with bare stems.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 20, 2015 at 7:04PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Exactly, they are apically dominant and will be spindly unless the light levels are high.

Regular pruning/pinching will help the plant branch and stay more bushy. You could also root the cuttings in the same container, creating a small grove to fill out and enhance the look. That's how I'd do it, personally.

Josh

Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 11:01AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you get into the roots and check, you may well find that you already have a multi-stemmed plant. IOW, you might be thinking your planting originally consisted of 2 cuttings, when in fact it could easily be 2 branches of a single cutting 'pretending' to be trunks. For instance, this ficus (first styling from a greenhouse plant) appears to have multiple trunks,

but the plant was grown from a 3-4" piece of a bare branch laid on top of the soil in a humid environment. The result was - roots growing downward and new buds (that would normally have been branches) erupting. In their normal geotropic response, they started growing (almost) vertically. You can see I had a hand in where the trunks will eventually remain positioned.

A picture of your plant might help. If your planting still has leaves very close to the soil, simply cutting the trunks back to a couple of healthy leaves should produce the multi-trunked grove/clump planting you're looking for.

BTW - I removed at least 1/2 bushel of branches/foliage from this plant in order to position the trunks & do some initial wiring for branch placement. It's a Ficus retusa "Melon Seed".

Al

1 Like    Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™