Need ID of Inherited plant. Palm Like

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bJuly 25, 2012

We inherited 2 sadly neglected plants from a family estate, and I am clueless as to what they are, or what to do with them. I also posted in tropicals. I don't want them to die!

I call this one Marions Lush. Can't figure out how to post 2 pictures, so can you ID this one?

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Looks like Dracaena marginata. Not too much sun mid-day, allow to dry between watering, then thoroughly drench. Has it been outside before you got it, if you know? It doesn't look like it. Keep an eye on it for sunburn even though it likes lots of sun, if it's been inside it may need to be eased into more light.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:40AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Wow! So they are the SAME tree? The individual leaves look very much the same.

The lush one was on the front porch in complete shade. The spindly one was on the back porch, and may have gotten some afternoon sun.

Thanks for the care tips. At this house, we just soaked the spindly one, will repot, and put in partial shade outside. We'll do the same with the lush one.

Thanks so much
Suzi

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:08PM

You're welcome but Hmmmm. This may be something else then or maybe not watered as often. Plan sounds good in general though. Be sure to remove any strangling roots (circling the pot bottom) and, like pruning a tree top, any that are crossing, just too big, or not healthy looking. There are a lot of pics of tree repots in this forum if you are not very familiar with it. You don't sound hesitant though, so probably you have done similar before.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:26PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Well, thanks for your confidence :-) I have re-potted a few figs, and dozens of wine grapevines, but you can't kill those ever! They are WEEDS!

House plants are a little more delicate I'm thinking, but when the pruning we did caused all kinds of fresh leaf bunches to appear, I'm thinking "maybe they are a little tougher than I thought!"

I'm a certifiable nut case! My house is full of silk trees and plants because I fear death (killed dozens of house plants over time)!! Actually, I have a huge silk Dracaena Marginata in my entry! I knew it was the same tree, but did not know the name. I just liked the decorator look of the tree!

These living trees will be happy outside in the partial sun and shade of the patio, or maybe even under the spotty shade of a queen palm tree! I will soak when they appear dry, and let them dry out again! And Repeat!

Thanks so much!
Suzi

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:50PM
birdsnblooms

Suzi, ditch the artificials and adopt new, live plants. :)

There are many many people here who love to help.

Your Dracaena Marginata is doing well. With proper light, a little fertilizer and well-draining soil, it will look MUCH better than plastic. lol. Plus, true plants are great for the soul. Seriously. Toni

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:09PM

Yes, you can do it!

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
House plant identification please
I bought this little plant at Walmart yesterday but...
wpark2419
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Sponsored Products
Bishop Dahlia Garden Torch
$49.99 | zulily
Artisan Handmade Copper Hibiscus Sprinkler
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Bamboo Seville Classics Bathmats 22 in. x 28 in.
$39.97 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Area Rug: MandarIn Brown and Terra 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Capsule Hanging Terrarium
| Dot & Bo
Agraria Lavender & Rosemary Air Essence Diffuser
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™