disocactus. what am I doing wrong?

rosebuddy(z5Ont)July 20, 2013

I love disocactus ramulosus and after my first shrivelled up and died I thought I would try it again. Did pretty good for the first 6 months, and again leaves started to dry up. I watered every second week, thinking to dry it out between waterings, but wondering if I should have soaked it instead of just watering as I do my other plants. Does this plant like to have a good soaking? Should I water every week? I've put it outside as a last chance and it's had some good rainfalls along with hot dry days and seems to be getting better. Will have to bring it in for the winter, and hoping someone out there has tricks to keep it going for the winter months.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CactusBoss(Zone 5a)

Didn't that species even existed. Anyways, it may be the humidity or you're not watering enough.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 1:52PM
rosebuddy(z5Ont)

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I am thinking wrong in that it likes it dry, both soil and air. It does seem to be liking the hot humid days outside we have had this week. I actually just brought home another, called ric rac to fill in the spot where my ramulosus was and crossing my fingers that both will thrive come the cold days when they come and I have to bring it in.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:04PM
CactusBoss(Zone 5a)

They also don't like standing in water.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:10PM
christine1950

Likes to be kept moist but not wet, and never let it dry out. Hope this helps a little.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:18PM
rosebuddy(z5Ont)

Thanks again. I do think I let it dry out too much between waterings. Hopefully it will come back. It's even getting its red colour back being outside. Just have to keep it happy indoors which is always the tricky part.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:27PM
cactusmcharris

rb,

It's a tropical plant, so treat it that way most of the time - a porous soil and frequent waterings / rain when it's warm (particularly in the spring / summer main growth periods) and dappled sun and it should grow well for you. It is not cold-hardy, as you might well already know.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 6:20PM
rosebuddy(z5Ont)

Thanks and please one more question? I'm going to try to root some leaf cuttings from it. By porous soil do you mean regular potting soil or cactus soil.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™