Plants you can't grow?

CactusBoss(Zone 5a)July 21, 2013

What are some plants you just can't keep alive? For me it's African Violets, Crotons, Aphelandra squarrosa(amazed I kept it alive for a year), Palms, and anything that requires high humidity.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calvin Ragoonanan

New guinea impatiens. They always decline quickly on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:21PM
sradleye

i've not had much success with the palms either. i guess i should pay more attention to the humidity. difficult to do. plus i hate keeping a bunch of standing water in the apartment.

the bigger palms are like cat playgrounds too :/

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:35PM
sradleye

cool site trini

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:37PM
Calvin Ragoonanan

Thanks Sradleye! I've only gotten into blogging this past year. I wish I has done it sooner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 5:09PM
a1pha_fema1e(4)

Ivy's. They always get spider mites! I did kill an african violet once too but I only tried it the once.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 5:56PM
CactusBoss(Zone 5a)

I'm trying a Hatiora x graeseri. hope I don't kill it.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 6:16PM
VGardenProject

English Ivy for me too. Most people cant grow this because the indoor air is too dry

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:39PM
CactusBoss(Zone 5a)

I'm hoping I don't have to add Easter Cactus to my list cause from I heard is that they like to drop their pads :(((.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 12:05AM
christine1950

African Violets & most cactus for me

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 8:32AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Fuchsia and tuberous Begonias. The heat and humidity kills them.

Big ones. As soon as something gets big enough to propagate, off with its' head!

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 10:10AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Apparently Parlour palms and Snakeplants for me. I've tried three parlour palms, only for every one to rot out on me! I can't seem to get the watering correct with snakeplants either, I had one for over a year, only to take it out of the pot (had a feeling something was wrong), and discover it had almost no roots. *sigh* I like both plants a lot too.

Planto

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 10:20AM
elkay_gw

China Doll ( Radermachera sinica). I can grow african violets, crotons and palms, but NOT China Dolls. I like them so much, but have no luck keeping them alive.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 10:22AM
birdsnblooms

poinsettia'>Poinsettias

Crassula streyi

Sago Palm

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 10:24AM
flowerpottipper

String of pearls , I've killed so many pots of these, I've lost count. I managed to keep one alive all last summer when I put it outside, but as soon as it got too cold for it to be outside and brought it indoors, it did okay for about a month then suddenly died. And I've tried every which way to care for it, even ignoring it.....but this plant just dislikes me!! Now when I see them for sale, I don't even bother looking at them anymore, they have become unappealing to me now.

Watermelon peperomia, I just can't get the care right with them either, and after killing several, I don't like them anymore. Lol

And I won't even try ivies or poinsettias, everyone seems to have too many issues with them, and they're unattractive to me too.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 6:34PM
subtropix

Hopeful, Sagos do not overwinter well in the house! I keep mine in the garage from December to March. Kept chilly but frost free, they love it. I also cannot keep them alive in the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 of several

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 7:18PM
dellis326 (Danny)

tacca integrifolia and Strongylodon macrobotrys,

Both are among my favorite non-aroid plants and neither will last long for me. Neither will do well in a dry heated house or air conditioning.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 10:28AM
asleep_in_the_garden

Alocasia amazonica(african mask) are among my favorite EEs and for years I've been watching them die and die and die. Always been a drainage issue(not enough) I'm finding out and hopefully managing a little better today. At the moment I have one in the front garden bed which is a layer of dirt over what seems to be a few feet of sand(excellent drainage) and although the little guy is taking it kinda slow,he's in good shape so far so I'm blissed out about that. :)

Let's hope I got this thing licked!

I still believe that calatheas will die if I get within twenty yards of them though. :/

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 10:47AM
tommyr_gw

Phalaenopsis orchids. Yes, I am a Phal killer! Also, Lithops.

This post was edited by tommyr on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 21:33

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:32PM
tropicbreezent

My list is big, but one I've tried a couple of times is the common Crucifix Orchid (Epidendrum). Got some from my father and they slowly dwarfed and then disappeared. He had clumps of them growing in the garden.

Late last year I got some more from a friend in a warmer climate hoping those may fare better. So far they're still hanging in but staying small (fingers crossed).

Another I've tried is Chalice Flower, Solandra maxima. A friend sent me a whole lot of already rooted cuttings. A few rotted straight away and the rest put out some new growth but also rotted over the next few weeks.

It's annoying when you know people who have these plants almost as weeds.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 12:28AM
tamela_star(Zone 7)

I can grow anything, but when it comes to Bonsai I have no luck. I follow the directions on care but nothing works for me.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:26AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Cactus! I can't keep one alive if you paid me..

I either let them dry out too long, wet them too often, don't keep them hot enough, or cough and they drop dead...

Mike

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 7:51PM
Pots_Alot

The one that's been in standing water for the past fifteen years.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 11:12PM
BronwynH

African violets. Any kind of cactus. Jade trees.

Actually, I bought my last jade tree in university and kept it alive for almost four years. It didn't really grow, but it always looked healthy. It was actually another post-marriage victim of my dh's cat. She knocked it off the shelf it sat on, breaking many of the limbs. That started a slow decline and 6 months later it was dead.

I almost wouldn't mind trying one again. Can anyone recommend a website that gives really good, detailed information on the care of jade trees? (I say partly thinking I should just stick to what I know I can grow and partly wondering where on earth I'd put another plant.)

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:02PM
kaktuskris

Lithops, had one turn to jelly on me overnight.

Christopher

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 10:26PM
aseedisapromise

Winter killed a Peperomia caperata pretty quickly in my old house. Too cold probably and I kept the soil too wet. Too bad, because I always think they are kind of cute. Also have killed quickly a croton and an African mask. I caused a Phal that I was babysitting to stop blooming and start to decline. I bought a new one for my friend when she returned.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™