Please ID this viny houseplant

SnailLover(5a MI)July 13, 2012

Have had this for several years. The cutting came from a friend named Dave, so we call it the 'Dave Plant.' lol. Leaves are smooth, thick, waxy looking, and variegated. It blooms only occasionally. The blossoms look almost like plastic and smell VERY very pungent (see pic).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi,

That is a Hoya, likely a Hoya carnosa & what lovely blooms it has. Nice plant, looks healthy. Try sniffing the blooms in evening, I believe this is one of the Hoyas some folks say can smell like chocolate.

FYI: though this can certainly be discussed here (yes, it's a houseplant, but can be grown outdoors too), there's also a Hoya forum here (see front page, at the very top) where only these plants are discussed.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 2:06PM
SnailLover(5a MI)

Thank you so much! I've been wondering what it is for years. The Dave Plant finally has a proper name :)

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 2:15PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I have one in my glazed porch and when it flowers you can smell it all through the house. Very tolerant of neglect. Just for clarity it is frost tender so can only be grown outdoors during the summer in colder zones.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 2:20PM
SnailLover(5a MI)

Yeah, a very strong fragrance. After a few days it's almost overpowering. But it's such a pretty bloom and doesn't happen very often, so I just put up with it and appreciate the beauty. Good to know it can go outside in summer (I'm in zone 5).

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 2:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think I've mentioned that I had one so enormous that it would have hundreds of flowers in various stages of development almost all the time. The scent of chocolate was 'gag-O-licious '. I jumped for joy when someone begged to buy it from me, lol.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 6:16PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

I have one, been abusing it for years. Maybe that is why it has no scent? Never had a smell of any kind, but it sure does draw medium sized fuzzy yellow bumble bees. I just went out to smell it since it is nearing dark, and find that the African Violets have more scent.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™