What to plant in fall zone 8

alan8(8)September 21, 2007

Give me some additional ideas on what to plant for fall. I've planted Brocolli, Snap Beans, Pink Eye Purple Hull Peas, Tomatoes and Lettuce.

What about Strawberries? Is now the time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I'd guess no on the strawberries. Still likely too warm because it is still too warm here in 6-7.

But leafy greens, garlic, turnips, collard greens, brussel sprouts, cabbage are all additional possibilities.

Dave

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 2:50PM
alan8(8)

digdirt,
Maybe you can help me. I've never planted strawberry in the fall, just spring. Do they grow during the winter? Whey do you plant them in the fall? What steps should I take to do it right? Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 8:23PM
ninjabut(USDA z 8,CA)

Alan, I'm not sure what zone 8 you're in, but unless you're growing in a greenhouse, tomato season is almost over here in USDA zone 8ish No CA.
The master gardener who's fall class I attended said a last try at beets, carrots, chard, snow peas, garlic for spring and alot of the greens I haven't tried.
News to me was that after the big broccoli head on top, the plant puts out side shoots the rest of the winter. I pulled mine up thinking they were done!
I put in brussel sprouts at the wrong time(last spring). The nursery had them! I didn't know! They've made it through the summer with not alot of damage and I see the little buds starting. The MG, who grows for a resteraunt, has given up on BS due to aphids.
Anyway, you might want to check with your county extention office for your specific county, what to plant.
HTH Nancy

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 9:01PM
alan8(8)

ninjabut, I'm in south Ala. and the county ext. office book says to plant tomatoes in July-Aug. I planted mine in mid Aug. and they are already blooming. In south Ala. we don't usually have much of a winter. Very seldom a freeze and frost is always late. I noticed when I was visiting Calif. that the nights there are much colder than they are here, even in the summer.
I once planted BS too and had more bugs than I've ever seen. Bugs love BS more than any thing I have EVER grown.
Thanks.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
Asparagus sprouts getting TALL
Planted them on 3/9, in small 2-inch pots, potting...
ilovecucumbers
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Design Double Organza Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Mykonos Blue Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Stone 96 x 100-Inch Double Wide Grommet Blackout Curtain Single Panel
$75.95 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - After Eight California King Upholstered Bed in...
Great Furniture Deal
8-step Aluminum Ladder
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Plumbing Accessories Durable Round Brass Sink P-Trap
TheBathOutlet
Area Rug: Wild Flowers Ivory 8' x 10' 6"
Home Depot
Hughes U-Chaise Sectional (3 piece) - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™