Help with ID?

NVL4July 31, 2014

While out and about earlier today I saw this plant in a lobby. Does anyone know what it is? Sorry the pictures aren't better. It was backlit.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NVL4

As you can see it's really tall.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 2:19PM
subtropix

Giant Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia nicolae). They are actually easy houseplants if you have the space...and a bit of sun, or decent light. (Not likely to flower in your living room, however.)

P.S., you think THAT'S big, those are its baby pics!

This post was edited by njoasis on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:42

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 4:34PM
NVL4

THANKS!!! LOL @ baby pics! Oh my! I was looking at pics but it didn't seem to have that base that almost looks plaited. Does it only get that as it gets older? You answered my other question - whether it not it would bloom.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:24PM
subtropix

As I understand it, they don't bloom until big and I doubt your ceiling is high enough. I have seen them in botanical garden trees where they push toward the very top.

Not sure what you mean by plaited base. Are you perhaps thinking about Traveler's Palm (it's related to it)? Traveler's are not nearly as easy in a home...much higher light requirement.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:29PM
NVL4

All of our regular ceilings are 10 foot except for the vaulted ceilings in the living room and trey ceilings in the bedroom. The vaulted ceilings are at least 20 feet but I would have it in the corner where it's between 12 and 15 feet. When it gets to it's to 15 plus feet in height (or too think) it will become an issue, but I think it will be OK for a while. I need a pretty tall plant.

This is what I was referring to with the base of the plant. This is a white Bird of Paradise.

This post was edited by NVL4 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 13:11

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:04PM
NVL4

This is what the plant stems remind me of.

http://www.ponyclubvic.org.au/?Page=128

I would be happy if it was just healthy but never bloomed. Blooms would just be a happy surprise. :) the long stems and big dark leaves are just beautiful.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
What Makes for a Good House Plant?
As a novice gardener in zone 5, I've become rapidly...
SnowStorm
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™