help me identify this plant

micke(6)July 15, 2012

This plant had a Hoya tag on it and I know it isnt a hoya..lest not the one they said it was. Im leaning towards a type of pothos but was wondering if anyone knows what it is?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrmothernature

You are right. It is not a Hoya. It is a Pothos hybrid.

~Will

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 2:43PM
micke(6)

Found it on the exotic angels site..they are calling it Pothos "Pearls & Jade"

I am weird, I cant stand it unless I have the common name nailed down.

:-)

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 3:21PM
birdsnblooms

Actually, your plant is Epipremnum aureum 'N' Joy', however, I've seen it also listed as 'Pearls & Jewels'...

Most people know and call epipremnums, Pothos.

So, your plant is Pothos, 'N Joy' or 'Pearls and Jewels.' lol. Toni

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 1:29PM
stewartsjon

Defo an Epipremnum.

Nearest commercially available version I've seen in Europe is E. Marble Queen - but that is spotty rather than two tone.

OT - as I (a brit) seem to have joined a US website, are they called Pothos over there?

Over here the growers call them Epipremnum, but we all refer to them as Scindapsis - which is what they used to be called until reclassified....

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 3:46AM
birdsnblooms

StewartsJon... Welcome.

Although the scientific name is Epipremnum, synonyms are Pothos aurea and Scindapsis aureus.
Here in the states, Epipremnums are commonly called 'Pothos.' Toni

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 12:56PM
Lamora(4)

I understand about wanting to know the names of plants-- i have to write them down in a notebook.. plus put it on the pot-- only way I can do it. :)

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 3:25PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

micke, that's a very pretty version of that plant! Nice!

About notes... If it's easier to remember real or descriptive names, like Annie and Steve, or Cutie, Pinky, and Stumpy, you can name the plants that way, and keep notes you organize by those names.

I would recommend keeping pictures as records, though, on the computer. Open a picture of each plant in Paint (under accessories menu on Windows.) There you can "write" the name of the plant on the picture, save as a different name if you want to keep the original photo unmarked.

However, after losing all of my garden notes and all other files to a lightning strike earlier this year, I would go the extra step and back it up on a CD occasionally, or at email a copy to a friend periodically in case something like that happens. Luckily most of the gardening stuff is in my head but there were lists I made that I really miss consulting.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 3:50PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hey Purple,

Don't you have a surge protector on your computer (w/ the power strip)? If you don't pls. get one, it grounds your computer. (Sorry, that must have been a big bummer.)

Problem for me /w documenting it all was when the collection becomes large enough, that becomes a project in itself, so I quit doing it. (I was up to 180 plants at one point.)

It's all in my head now & sometimes on the plant tags too, sometimes my pots have 2 or 3 tags in them w/ certain notes if the plant is 10 yrs./ old or more & has had several repottings.

Recently Norma shared a great trick about plant tags, make TWO instead & put one in the bottom of the plant UNDER it. Then when one pots it up, one finds the tag down below (in case one's lost the other tag already).

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 6:25PM

Good tips. And thanks, for the sympathy, and I do have that now now! Got one for the TV too.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 10:40PM
stewartsjon

My business is next door to a garden centre that stocks houseplants bought from a wholesaler.

Occasionally I'll see something really interesting in there and think "ooh, what's that called?" and it's just got a barcode and the word "houseplant" on it. The person in charge doesn't know either because she just saw it on a wholesaler's lorry and said "ooh, that's nice". Very frustrating!

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:50AM

I wonder if you could find the info by using the barcode? AFAIK, each 12-digit number is unique but they may not be universal in different stores. Does anyone know?

I googled 3 barcodes and 2 led immediately to the product. This link may help. Put all 12 digits.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
What Makes for a Good House Plant?
As a novice gardener in zone 5, I've become rapidly...
SnowStorm
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™