Does anybody know what type of plant i have?

biscuit135July 16, 2014

Hey guys!

I am fairly new to owning plants and this little guy was the first one that i brought about 6 months ago, the problem is it aid it was a snake plant but im pretty sure now that this is not a snake plant... I think it may be a Ficus from research but thats about all i got. I would really appreciate if anybody could inform me aswell as providing details for care?

Cheers! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

You have a rubber tree, a Ficus

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 3:01PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

More specifically a Ficus elastica, you can likely find lots of care info. now that you've got a complete & specific name for it.

PS: Sorry, but I don't grow this, so I can't suggest care, but pls. give this a couple of days time & others who do grow it will come along & help.

This post was edited by pirate_girl on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:05

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 6:33PM
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

My rubber tree is pretty happy in a south facing window with ample direct sun (but please provide air movement or else it burns). I water it when potting media dries almost completely. I fertilize every 2 weeks. You can also put it outside for summer if you have a garden.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 11:48AM
lauraeli_

Most rubber trees are grown in low light/bright light, I believe. They dont need any direct sun to flourish. Like most house plants, morning sun is tolerated well.

I have known house plants (rubber trees) to tolerate dark corners and drought. My sister has a brown thumb. But she has had a rubber tree and a lemon-lime dracaena for a long time. She keeps her shades drawn for at least half the daylight hours, and waters occasionally. Im sure it could survive living with vampires. I know you could keep it alive.

This post was edited by Lauraeli on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:33

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 12:13PM

I believe the better care they get, the longer they keep their leaves, and the prettier they look..I dont reccomend direct sun as much as indirect light all day, maybe with morning direct sun..I will say they are very tolerant of bad conditions though, unlike their cousant, Ficus benjamina..

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 12:55PM

They might tolerate shady spots but all ficus elasticas I've seen in dark corners got extremely leggy. IMO they do very well in bright light.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:51PM

"they do very well in bright light"

Notice you said bright not direct light, I agree with you on both points about too much shade and bright light, i dont agree that direct afternoon sun is 'always' good for them...........

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:15PM

Allright, I agree.
Probably all day direct sun in Ireland means something totally different than in other places.
So I'd say, keep the plant wherever it's been beacuse it looks happy :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™