syngonium and corn plant - please help

dkearbyJuly 13, 2011

So I have a Syngonium and Corn Plant growing in the same pot - they came this way about nine years ago from a florist from my father's funeral. The corn plant has grown very much and I am wondering if it should be separated from the Syngonium. Attached is a picture of the plant; any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Dkearby..No picture. lol

Is the Syngonium hanging? If both plants are doing well, and growing, I see no reason for seperation. Unless you want to for other reasons.

Can you post a picture? Toni

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:31PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Toni,

This pic is around elsewhere,I remember seeing it elsewhere when they asked for an ID on the Syngonium. The initial pic was dark, I asked for lighter pic which Poster did, maybe at the Gallery?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 5:18PM
birdsnblooms

Karen, thanks. Picture is on the Gallery.

Dkearby, your plant is Dracaena 'Janet Craig,' not Dracaena fragrans/Corn Plant, but they are related.

The only differences are, Janet Craig grows faster than Corn Plants, and usually have larger/more roots. Which goes back to your question regarding repotting.
Corn plant trunks are cane-like, JC's trunks have softer tissue. Toni

Have you ever repotted these plants before? What size is the pot?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 5:46PM
dkearby

I did repot last year. I am not quite sure of the dimensions of the pot but the plant hasn't really grown much. The Arrowhead Plant is going great, but this other is kinda just there.

I had thought I posted the picture but maybe I did it wrong. I am attempting this again so hopefully the picture will be attached to this message.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 6:12PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi DK,

Pic is there now, perfectly visible to me at the moment (using Google chrom).

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:14AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

You said you've had this combo-plant for 9 years (which is GREAT!) and repotted it a year ago. When you repotted it, did you move it to a different location? Maybe it's not getting as much sun as it used to? What side is the window where it is?

Without knowing where you are, it's hard to know how much sun it is getting. You can find your zone here. If you include it in your profile info, it will show up next to your name automatically when you say something on these forums.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™