mealy on aglaonema 'silver queen'

blutherJuly 3, 2011

Hello

Just read recently that the Aglanomea "silver queen" susceptible to mealy bugs.

Mine has a stickly item on the stem and something similiar to a salt crystal (for last 2 years or more). Have checked several times over the last 2 weeks but no sign of the dreaded mealy bug. Plant growing, seems to be healthy and no yellowing / nor loosing any lower or upper leaves.

The stickly / salt crystal items common on this plant?

Just ran under the shower and seems to have removed the stickly item.

Jazz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

That's normal. I have a few chinese evergreens and they all get that. I believe it's nothing more then dried sap. The mealies will be fuzzy, and you'll find a pile of cottony fuzz where the leaves meet the stems. It's good that you pay attention, because mealy bugs can get down right nasty if they go undetected for any significant amount of time.

Joe

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 7:01PM
bluther

That is good to know that it is normal. Quite familiar with the mealy bugs from my cacti collection and have had "nasty" experiences with them. Constantly checking for any new outbreak.

Thanks for the response

Jazz

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 9:33PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Many plants, especially aroids, which aglaonema is, are prone to guttation. It is the process of xylem sap seeping out of stomata (pores) on the plant stems and leaves. It is normally mostly water with various salts and sugars dissolved in the fluid. The water will evaporate and leave the minerals behind and can form crystals.

It is a normal process.

Danny

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 9:34AM
birdsnblooms

Jazz, for some reason, Mealy have taken over from late 2010-2011.

Did you rid the Mealy on your Cacti collection? If you suspect they're in hiding, (eggs) isolate or keep a far distance from your other plants.. Toni

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 3:47PM
bluther

Toni

Had a mealy infection on the cacti this past winter. No mealy on the cacti for last month but still checking them over very closely ever 2nd day. Will continue this for the remainder of the summer at least. The Aglaonema isolated from the cacti.

Jazz

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 9:15PM
birdsnblooms

Jazz, what did you use to rid Mealy? Toni

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 9:24PM
bluther

Toni

Just spraying with mild dish detergent and picking off with a "mealy stick" (my name but just a piece of wood with a pointed end to get at difficult areas on a plant). Also, an old tooth brush is a big help.

Most important is to monitor continually each day for several weeks. As mentioned previously, I am at the point that I now look at ever 2nd day and will until end of summer or even longer. Have read that mealy larva can pop up weeks later and I believe it. (At this time of year my plants are outside on an apt balcony, so will continue to inspect.)

Don't mind the attention / time it takes because love being around the plants. Also, don't care for pesicides so that is one reason why I went the route I did.

Jazz

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Sponsored Products
SLV Lighting | Quadrasyl SL 75 Outdoor Bollard
$306.00 | YLighting
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Shangri-La 30 in. Bronze Outdoor Table L
Home Depot
Kendra Semi-Flushmount by Quoizel
$309.99 | Lumens
Woodstock Bells of Paradise Medium Pacific Blue Wind Chime - BPMPB
$42.50 | Hayneedle
Hawthorne 3-drawer Nightstand
Overstock.com
Uttermost Basiliano 14" Wide One-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Dane River Blue 52-Inch x 63-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
Addison ross orange enamel frames