Mirrors in the garden

a.girl.named.max(4a)January 12, 2014

It's a balmy 36�F in the NW suburbs of Minneapolis, MN so I've been daydreaming about our gardens.

This summer I would like to include an assortment of framed mirrors in our shade gardens. Does anyone have experience using framed mirrors in their gardens or on their fences? The mirrors would be in the shade; we would take the mirrors in for the winter; we don't have any pets or small children; we would keep the mirrors low so the birds wouldn't fly into them, and we wouldn't expect them to be spotless like the ones in our home (lol .. that's a joke!) but other than that should I have any concerns about mirrors in the garden..

If you have ideas or better yet, pics of mirrors in your gardens I would appreciate seeing them.

By the way.... GW and the thrift stores in our area never seem to have mirrors. Do you think there is a reason for that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
indigosunshine

Max, we have had this mirror hanging on the east side of the shed for about 4 years now. We don't take it in for the winter and have not had problems with the sun and reflection(ex. starting fires). Once in a while a robin will fight its reflection but after awhile give up on that. We also have an assortment of small mirrors hanging on a crib spring in the flower garden. I think mirrors are a great addition to a garden but placement is important. Good luck! Carol

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 12:37PM
bythehorns

Max, I have had this one out year round in North Central Iowa for many years. I tied 4 pieces of metal fence together and put screws to hang them on for the "frame". I love it and have many more I am going to put out. Check your local facebook garage sales for mirrors. I get some very nice ones that don't cost a lot.

This post was edited by bythehorns on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 16:16

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 4:03PM
Marlene Kindred

I've always loved the look of mirrors in the garden. My guess is that if you do a search here, you'll find some and I know there are some on Pinterest too.

Post pictures when you put them up!

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 5:11PM
nonacook(8bFL)

Last summer I 'acquired' several mirrors from a building next door that was being renovated. One part was a beauty shop, so I took down the mirrors as a 'favor' for them-LOL I dont have any of them in the garden as yet. Altho they are leaning against the old (1929) garage building that my grandfather built.
Always lots of things to do around here!
And I noticed that even with Half a dozen nights of below freezing, that my plants are down, but not the WEEDS--thay are growing strong-Grin.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:37AM
GreenSuzq2(7 TN)

Hi, I haven't been here in quite awhile. Looking forward to catching up and posting some pictures. Last year I put a large mirror on the front of my shed. I kept noticing white stuff all over it and would spray it off or the rain would clean it. After about 3 weeks on and off I saw a bluebird flapping all over it, leaving me the white stuff!!! I took it down, but will try some smaller mirrors elsewhere. I loved it, but not the mess.

Suzq

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™