Repotting dracaena and mealybugs

plumeriasJuly 2, 2013

Hi everyone! I have had this dracaena plant I got from ikea at LEAST 5 years ago, and I know it is definitely root bound. I always delayed repotting it because honestly, even though I've read article after article of instructions, I feel like I'm gonna mess up and kill my plant. So please, pretend I'm a 5 year old and include the type of soil I should get, including brands if possible! I kinda want it to get bigger, so I guess I need a new pot? How can I get the "limbs" to look more neat? Can I secure them with a wire or twin or something?

The other thing is, he's contracted mealybugs. I discovered the bottom leaves were falling off dramatically and all this white powder came out of it.. MEALYBUGS! Little demons. Since then (maybe 3 months ago?) I've regularly been spraying it with a diluted rubbing alcohol + water spray and closely inspecting the leaf crevices to smoosh out any I can see with a q-tip. He seems to be doing much better, and the mealy bugs are still there but decreasing. Are there any other natural/organic remedies I can try? I've heard about neem oil and might look into that.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I think it looks fantastic! Here's some unpotted ones showing the roots. Started as severed-trunk cuttings, that grew these root systems within a year.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Here's one after trimming, you can be quite aggressive. Even after trimming, a larger pot would likely soon be filled with roots. As your plant looks much more top-heavy, I would take that into consideration, leaving more large, woody roots in places where they will help keep the plant from leaning while new roots form and roam into the new, surrounding soil. I prefer to not have to stake plants if avoidable.

This discussion is a great place to get started reading about making roots happy (which is necessary for great plants.)

P.S. The bag of stuff is for the ground garden, not for in pots...

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™